The Law Courts Complex contains both the Queensland Supreme Court and the District Court. (The Queensland Supreme Court is the superior Law Court for the state of Queensland and is around the middle of the Australian court hierarchy.)
The complex was constructed in two stages and replaced the former Supreme Court building which was partially destroyed by fire in the late 1960s. The first stage of the complex was built in the 1970s on the western (George Street) frontage and at first housed the Supreme Court. Subsequently in the early 1980s the eastern and larger wing of the complex was opened and the Supreme Court was relocated to this part. The District Court was relocated from temporary accommodation in North Quay to the courts formerly occupied by the Supreme Court.
Legal Matters: A Victorian Masterpiece Now Too Small for the Job; Built Almost 110 Years Ago, Birmingham's Victoria Law Courts Is the Busiest Courthouse in Europe and Is Bursting at the Seams. Home Affairs Correspondent Richard Warburton Looks at the History and Significance of One of the City's Most Important Buildings
Sep 29, 2004; Byline: Richard Warburton When the then Prince of Wales opened the Victoria Law Courts on July 21, 1891, it was described as the...