The largest of Dunedin's four public pools, Moana Pool was built in the early 1960s on the site of the old Moana Tennis Club. Its name (the Maori word for "sea") is thus only coincidentally related to the pool's facilities. It was opened on November 14, 1964.
Costing 450,000 pounds, the pool was a replacement for the 1914 tepid pools in Lower Moray Place, which were seen as being inadequate for the city's modern needs. The new pool was designed by architect W. F. Hesson.
The main pool is of Olympic dimensions (50m by 17.5m), and is kept heated to 28.5 degrees celsius. It can be divided by a moveable bulkhead into two 25m pools. The Moana Pool complex was expanded in 2000-2001, and now includes a leisure and wave complex, two waterslides, a learner's pool, a lap pool, and Olympic standard diving facilities.
Moana Pool has been used for regional and national championships in swimming, diving, and water polo, and is a regular host of the New Zealand Masters' Games, which are held in Dunedin every two years.