(الأغواط) is the capital city of the Laghouat Province
, 400 km south of the Algerian capital Algiers
in the Atlas Mountains
. It has about 125,000 inhabitants (2005). Nearby, (in Hassi R'Mel
) there is the largest natural gas
reserve in Africa
The city was founded in the 11th Century. In 1852, the French took over the city. Since 1962, it is Algerian.