Definitions

lady superior

GWR 2900 Class

The Great Western Railway Saint Class 4-6-0 steam locomotives for passenger train work. Number 2925 Saint Martin was later rebuilt as the prototype Hall Class locomotive, and renumbered 4900.

Prototypes

Three prototype versions of what was to become the 'Saint' class of locomotives were made in 1902–1903. The first of these was number 100 and it was completely different from anything the Great Western had produced before. Built to his ideas on standardisation of design, G. J. Churchward created a large response for its completely modern look, but few people realised the great developments that it would bring about. It was originally built with a parallel boiler, then with a half-cone boiler in 1903 and later the first superheated half-cone boiler in 1910. The locomotive was said to have an American look about her and it was true that Churchward had investigated American designs on boilers, but for efficiency in the design of the motion, it was to the continent that he turned. To this end, a locomotive was ordered from the Société Alsacienne for the De Glehn 4-4-2 compound engine so that Churchward could compare the design with his own.

The second prototype was engine number 98. Built with a half-cone boiler as standard, the difference between the earlier locomotive was in the valve gear layout and cylinder design, and in addition, the valve diameter had grown from 6½ inches (165 mm) to 10 inches (254 mm).

The third and last prototype was number 171 and although built in 4-6-0 configuration, it was quickly converted to 4-4-2 so that a direct comparison with the De Glehn locomotives was established. The third prototype's main contrast with previous prototype engines was a working pressure of . While the trials between the two locomotives were taking place, a further nineteen locomotives were ordered similar to the design of 171 except that thirteen were built as 4-4-2s while the remaining six were built as 4-6-0s, until a decision was made on the best wheel arrangement for the Great Western's lines.

Production

Year Lot No. Works No. Quantity GWR Numbers Notes
1902
132
1928
1
100 Renumbered 2900
1903
138
1990
1
98 Renumbered 2998
1903
154
2024
1
171 Ran as 4–4–2 from 1904/10 to 1907/07. Renumbered 2971
1905
154
2106
1
172 Built as 4-4-2. Rebuilt as 4-6-0. Renumbered 2972
1905
154
2107–2122
6
173–178 Renumbered 2973–2978
1905
154
2113–2114
2
179–180 Rebuilt as 4-6-0. Renumbered 2979–2980
1905
158
2128–2137
10
181–190 Rebuilt as 4-6-0. Renumbered 2981–2990
1906
164
2199–2208
10
2901–2910
1907
170
2259–2278
20
2911–2930
1911
185
2426–2435
10
2931–2940
1912
189
2476–2485
10
2941–2950
1913
192
2506–2510
5
2951–2955

Preservation

Because no Saints survived into preservation, the Great Western Society at Didcot is currently reverting 4942 Maindy Hall to be 2999 - Lady of Legend.

List of locomotives

No. Name Built Withdrawn Notes
2900 William Dean Originally un-named. Carried name Dean from June to November 1902
2901 Lady Superior Named October 1906
2902 Lady of the Lake Named April 1907
2903 Lady of Lyons Named April 1907
2904 Lady Godiva Named April 1907
2905 Lady Macbeth Named April 1907
2906 Lady of Lynn Named May 1907
2907 Lady Disdain Named April 1907
2908 Lady of Quality Named May 1907
2909 Lady of Provence Named May 1907
2910 Lady of Shalott Named May 1907
2911 Saint Agatha
2912 Saint Ambrose
2913 Saint Andrew
2914 Saint Augustine
2915 Saint Bartholomew
2916 Saint Benedict
2917 Saint Bernard
2918 Saint Catherine
2919 Saint Cuthbert Originally named Saint Cecelia; renamed October 1907
2920 Saint David
2921 Saint Dunstan
2922 Saint Gabriel
2923 Saint George
2924 Saint Helena
2925 Saint Martin Rebuilt to prototype Hall class
2926 Saint Nicholas
2927 Saint Patrick
2928 Saint Sebastian
2929 Saint Stephen
2930 Saint Vincent
2931 Arlington Court
2932 Ashton Court
2933 Bibury Court
2934 Butleigh Court
2935 Caynham Court
2936 Cefntilla Court
2937 Clevedon Court
2938 Corsham Court
2939 Croome Court
2940 Dorney Court
2941 Easton Court
2942 Fawley Court
2943 Hampton Court
2944 Highnam Court
2945 Hillingdon Court
2946 Langford Court
2947 Madresfield Court
2948 Stackpole Court
2949 Stanford Court
2950 Taplow Court
2951 Tawstock Court
2952 Twineham Court
2953 Titley Court
2954 Tockenham Court
2955 Tortworth Court
2971 Albion Built as No. 171. Named Albion February 1904. Rebuilt to 4-4-2, October 1904. Renamed The Pirate March 1907. Rebuilt back to 4-6-0, July 1907 and renamed Albion. Renumbered 2971, 1913.
2972 The Abbot Built as 4-4-2 No. 172 Quicksilver. Renamed March 1907. Rebuilt as 4-6-0 April 1912.
2973 Robins Bolitho Built as No. 173
2974 Lord Barrymore Built as No. 174 Barrymore. Renamed, May 1905
2975 Lord Palmer Built as unnamed No. 175. Named Viscount Churchill, 1907. Renamed Sir Ernest Palmer, February 1924. Renamed Lord Palmer, in October 1933.
2976 Winterstoke Built as unnamed No. 176. Named, April 1907.
2977 Robertson Built as unnamed No. 177. Named, April 1907.
2978 Charles J. Hambro Built as No. 178 Kirkland. Renamed, May 1935.
2979 Quentin Durward Built as 4-4-2 No. 179 Magnet. Renamed, March 1907. Rebuilt as 4-6-0, August 1912.
2980 Coeur de Lion Built as unnamed 4-4-2 No. 180. Named in March 1907. Rebuilt as 4-6-0, January 1913.
2981 Ivanhoe Built as unnamed 4-4-2 No. 181. Named in 1907. Rebuilt as 4-6-0, July 1912.
2982 Lalla Rookh Built as unnamed 4-4-2 No. 182. Named in 1906. Rebuilt as 4-6-0, November 1912.
2983 Redgauntlet Built as 4-4-2 No. 183 Red Gauntlet. Rebuilt as 4-6-0, April 1912. Renamed Redgauntlet, June 1915.
2984 Guy Mannering Built as 4-4-2 No. 184 Churchill. Renamed Viscount Churchill in 1906. Renamed Guy Mannering, 1907. Rebuilt as 4-6-0, August 1912.
2985 Peveril of the Peak Built as unnamed 4-4-2 No. 185. Named Winterstoke, February 1906. Renamed Peveril of the Peak, April 1907. Rebuilt as 4-6-0, May 1912. Withdrawn August 1931.
2986 Robin Hood Built as unnamed 4-4-2 No. 186. Named in April 1906. Rebuilt as 4-6-0, May 1912.
2987 ''Bride of Lammermoor Built as unnamed 4-4-2 No. 187. Named Robertson, November 1905. Renamed 'Bride of Lammermoor, April 1907. Rebuilt as 4-6-0, June 1912.
2988 Rob Roy Built as unnamed 4-4-2 No. 188. Named, 1907. Rebuilt as 4-6-0, May 1912.
2989 Talisman Built as unnamed 4-4-2 No. 189. Named, 1906. Rebuilt as 4-6-0, October 1912.
2990 Waverley Built as unnamed 4-4-2 No. 190. Named, 1906. Rebuilt as 4-6-0, November 1912.
2998 Ernest Cunard Built as unnamed No. 98. Named Persimmon, 1906. Renamed [Vanguard, March 1907. Renamed Ernest Cunard, December 1907. Renumbered 2998 in 1913.
2999 Lady of Legend Modern conversion from previous 4900 class, 4242 Maindy Hall

References

  • Allan, Ian, compiler (1944). The ABC of Great Western Locomotives. McCorquodale and Co., Ltd., London.
  • Bradley, Rodger (1988). GWR Two Cylinder 4–6–0s and 2–6–0s. Newton Abbot, Devon: David and Charles Publishing plc.
  • Lady of Legend details. Great Western Society website. Retrieved on 2008-06-10..
  • 2900 'Saint' Class. Great Western Archive. Retrieved on 2008-09-25..

External links


Search another word or see lady superioron Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature