(born Schröder, August 10
) is a German economist and professor of Business Administration at the Otto-von-Guericke
-University in Magdeburg
Roland Kirstein studied Economics and Law at the Saarland University in Germany from 1988-1994. He finished his PhD thesis in 1998 (supervisor Prof. Dr. Dieter Schmidtchen) on the topic "Imperfect Decision-Making Judges". As an assistant professor of Economics, he specialized in Law and Economics, namely Banking Regulation, Insurance Economics, and Constitutional Economics.
Since October 2006 he holds the professorship "Economics of Business and Law" at the Otto-von-Guericke-University Magdeburg. In August 2007 he became full professor.
In 2002 Roland Kirstein visited the University of California, Berkeley (Law School, invited by Prof. Robert Cooter) and in Santa Barbara (Economics Department, invited by Prof. Ted Bergstrom) to do research into asymmetric information in consumer markets. Since 2003 he has been a visiting professor at the University of California, Santa Barbara, giving courses in Law and Economics.
Roland Kirstein is married to Dr. Annette Kirstein, with one child (Viktor Friedrich, born November 8, 2007 in Karlsruhe, Germany). He is a strong supporter and member of the German soccer club SV Werder Bremen.
Achievements and awards
- Full Professorship of Business Administration at the Otto-von-Guericke-University Magdeburg (2007).
- Spokesman of the research group "Decision and Institutions", Otto-von-Guericke-University Magdeburg.
- Member of the Committee of Economic Policy of the Verein für Socialpolitik.
- Editor of New Economic Papers on "Collective Decision-Making" and "Intellectual Property Rights".
- Member of the editorial board of "The Reviews of Law and Economics".
- Member of the scholarship selection committee of Friedrich-Naumann-Stiftung.
- Member of the steering committee (2001-2005) and the advisory board of the European Association of Law and Economics
- Eduard-Martin-Award of the Saarland University for his PhD thesis.
- Member of the Center for the Study of Law and Economics, Saarland University.
- American Economic Association (AEA), Royal Economic Society (RES), Verein für Socialpolitik (VfS).
- American Law and Economic Association (ALEA), Canadian Law and Economic Association (CLEA), Greek Association of Law and Economics (GALE), European Association of Law and Economics (EALE).
- Verband der Hochschullehrer der Betriebswirtschaft e. V. (VHB), Schmalenbachgesellschaft für Betriebswirtschaft, German Economic Association for Business Administration (GEABA).
- Haucap, J./Kirstein, R. (2003); Government Incentives when Pollution Permits are Durable Goods; in: Public Choice 115, 163-183.
- Kirstein, R. (2000); Risk-Neutrality and Strategic Insurance; in: The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance. Issues and Practice 25 (2), 262-272.
- Kirstein, R. (2002); The New Basle Accord, Internal Ratings, and the Incentives of Banks; in: International Re-view of Law and Economics 21 (4), 393-412.
- Kirstein, R. (2006): Book review on Blair, Roger D. and Cotter, Thomas F.: Intellectual Property: Economic and Legal Dimensions of Rights and Remedies, Cambridge University Press; in: Journal of Economics 89 (1), 90-93.
- Kirstein, R./Cooter, R. (2007): Sharing and Anti-Sharing in Teams; in Economics Letters 96(3), 351-356.
- Kirstein, R./Rickman, N. (2004): „Third Party Contingency“ Contracts in Settlement and Litigation; in: Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics 160 (4), 555-575.
- Kirstein, R./Schmidtchen, D. (1997); Judicial Detection Skill and Contractual Compliance; in: International Review of Law and Economics 17 (4), 509-520.
- Kirstein, R./Schmidtchen, D. (2001); Do Artists Benefit from Resale Royalties? An Economic Analysis of a New EU Directive. In: Deffains, B./Kirat, T. (eds.): Law and Economics in Civil Law Countries; The Economics of Legal Relationships Vol. 6, Elsevier Science, Amsterdam et al., 231-248.
- Kirstein, R./Voigt, S. (2006): The Violent and the Weak. When Dictators Care about Social Contracts; in: American Journal of Economics and Sociology 65(4), 863-889.
- Kirstein, R. / Will, B. (2006): Efficient Compensation for Employees' Inventions; in: European Journal of Law and Economics 21 (1), 129-148.
- American Economic Review, B.E. Journals in Theoretical Economics, European Economic Review, European Journal of Law and Economics, German Economic Review, Homo Oeconomicus, Industrielle Beziehungen, International Journal of Industrial Organization, International Review of Law and Economics, Journal of Cultural Economics, Journal of Economic Studies, Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics, Metroeconomica, Political Studies, Schmalenbach Business Review, Theory and Decision.
- Cusanuswerk, Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD), Friedrich-Naumann-Stiftung, Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes.
- University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Department, Graduate Program.
- Routledge Economics Books; Verein für Socialpolitik.