The Shrewsbury and Wellington Joint Railway
was owned by the London North Western Railway
and the Great Western Railway
. Its line ran from Shrewsbury
(Abbey Foregate station
, not to be confused with Abbey station
, also in Shrewsbury) to Wellington
. Abbey Foregate also acted as a junction, with chords to Shrewsbury station
and to the direct line to Wales.
Construction, between 1846 and 1849, was a joint effort between the Shropshire Union Railways and the Shrewsbury and Birmingham Railway
Of the five stations of the joint line (Abbey Foregate, Upton Magna, Walcot, Admaston and Wellington) only Wellington is still open.