In 2002, a range of terrorist organisation offences were enacted "enabling Australian governments to deal with organisations involved in terrorism.
As of early June 2007 there were 19 organisations listed as terrorist organisations by the Australian government. All but one of those organisations are associated to Islamic ideology. For listing, an organisation may be found to be such by a court as part of a prosecution for a terrorist offence or the same may be specified in regulations upon the motion of the Attorney-General of Australia.
Under Australian law it is an offense to materially support or be supported by such organizations.
- The Abu Sayyaf Group. From a base in the Southern islands of the Philippines, this group has affirmed a goal of creating a pan-Islamic superstate across Southeast Asia.
- Al Qaeda. This is a militant Qutbist Sunni Islamist terrorist organization established in 1988.
- Tanzim Qa'idat al-Jihad fi Bilad al-Rafidayn (the al-Zarqawi group, also known as al Qa'ida in Iraq, or The Organization for the Foundation of the Holy Struggle in Mesopotamia. This organisation associates itself with Al-Qa'ida and is a successor of Jama'at al-Tawhid wal-Jihad (Arabic: جماعة التوحيد والجهاد) - the Unification (Monotheism) and the Holy Struggle Group)
- Ansar al-Sunna (formerly known as Ansar Al-Islam)
- Armed Islamic Group: a group based in northern and central Iraq, and including Kurdish groups, Sunni Arab religious radicals, and others.
- Asbat al-Ansar ("the League of the Followers" or "Partisans’ League") This is an organization of Sunni Islamists based in southern Lebanon.
- Egyptian Islamic Jihad, also called Islamic Jihad and the Jihad Group. They have an association to the Muslim Brotherhood. They have declared a goal to overthrow the Egyptian Government and replace it with an Islamic state.
- The Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades, a militant wing of Hamas (Arabic: حركة حماس; acronym: Arabic: حركة المقاومة الاسلامية, or Harakat al-Muqawama al-Islamiyya or "Islamic Resistance Movement".
- The Hizballah External Security Organisation (Al-Muqawama al-Islamiyya - "The Islamic Resistance"). Hezbollah (Arabic: حزب الله ḥizbu-llāh, meaning "party of God") is a Shi'a Islamic political and paramilitary organization based in Lebanon. It propounds a version of Islamic Shi'a ideology developed by Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.
- The Islamic Army of Aden. This is a terrorist group based in southern Yemen.
- Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan, also known as the Islamic Party of Turkestan. This is an Islamist terrorist organization within the Islamic Movement of Central Asia that has operated in and beyond Uzbekistan since 1998. The IMU's goal is to overthrow the Government of Uzbekistan and replace it with an Islamic State.
- Jaish-e-Mohammed (literally The Army of Muhammad). This is a major Islamic militant organization in South Asia. formed in 1994 and based in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. The group's primary motive is to end India's rule in Kashmir.
- Jamiat ul-Ansar (formerly known as Harakat Ul-Mujahideen): a militant Islamist organization founded in 1993 that is particularly active in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Jemaah Islamiyah: a Southeast Asian Islamist organization dedicated to the establishment of a Daulah Islamiyah (pan-Islamic superstate in Southeast Asia).
- Lashkar i Jhangvi(English: Army of Jhang): a Wahabi Islamic terrorist organization affiliated with Al Qaeda that has operated in Pakistan since 1997 with a particular focus upon victimising the Pakistani Shia Muslim community.
- Lashkar-e-Tayyiba. This organisation's primary objectives are to end Indian rule in Jammu and Kashmir, and to establish Islamic rule over all of India and the world
- Palestinian Islamic Jihad: and organisation declaring a goal of destroying Israel and replacement it with a Palestinian Islamic state.
- Salafist Group for Call and Combat: a militant Wahhabist Sunni Islamist group which aims to overthrow the Algerian government and institute an Islamic state there.
- Kurdistan Workers Party a marxist group based in southern Turkey northern parts of Iraq, Iran, Syria listed since 15 December 2005