The Intermuseum Conservation Association (ICA)
is a non-profit
regional art conservation
laboratory located in Cleveland, OH
. It was the first non-profit conservation laboratory in the United States
. The ICA currently offers conservation and preservation treatments for paintings, murals, works on paper, documents, objects of all media, outdoor sculpture, monuments, and textiles. It employs over 20 conservators and staff.
The ICA was founded in 1952 on the campus of Oberlin College
in Oberlin, OH
. Six directors of major Midwestern museums
wanted to create a professional art conservation laboratory. Richard Buck from the Harvard Art Department
was the first director of the ICA and served for 20 years. In 2003, the ICA left Oberlin and moved to its current location on the Detroit Shoreway
. The new building was once the headquarters of the Vitrolite
Company, manufacturers of a popular opaque glass used in 1920s-1950s interior and exterior design. The Vitrolite Building is on the National Register of Historical Places
. The ICA is currently restoring the last surviving Vitrolite glass-decorated showroom in the country, for use as an educational and public meeting space.
The ICA has departments for architectural, object, textile, paper, and painting conservation. Beyond conserving and restoring pieces of art, the ICA offers materials analysis, disaster response services, fine art storage, insurance claim assistance, custom mounting and framing, and educational programs.
Created in 2006 by the ICA, the Art Materials Information and Education Network offers unbiased information about materials
used by artists to ensure safety and quality. AMIEN provides forums, workshops and other information on material research.
Selected List of Member Institutions
Selected examples of ICA projects