Definitions

inter-lace

St. Helen's Church, Brant Broughton

St. Helen's Church is an Anglican church in Brant Broughton, Lincolnshire England.

History

It is a medieval church dedicated to 'St Helen' dating from the 13th century. It was heavily restored by the Rector, Canon Frederick Heathcote Sutton and the architect George Frederick Bodley between 1874 and 1876.

The chancel (a rebuild of 1812) was entirely demolished by Bodley in 1874. He added the reredos in 1887. The bells were repaired and refurbished in 1881 by John Taylor of Loughborough.

The wrought ironwork, gates, railings, candlesticks and candelabra were made by the village blacksmith, F. Coldron.

It is said to have the most elegant spire in Lincolnshire. The spire although reduced in height in 1897 is high. Parts of the church date back to about 1290 though most dates back to about the late 14th century.

There is a late 15th century German painting of the Ascension and a piece of Anglo Saxon inter-lace stonework in the vestry. Under the tower there are the remains of a 14th century trinity which has the top half of God The Father missing. There are also some interesting Green Man bosses to be found in the roof.

Incumbents

  • William Warburton 1728 - 1730
  • ?
  • Revd H Houson ca 1839
  • *
  • Revd Canon Frederick Heathcote Sutton 1873 - 1889
  • Revd Canon Arthur Sutton 1889 - 1924
  • ?

Organ

The organ is by Wordsworth and Maskell of Leeds installed in 1876. The organ case was added in 1906. The specification of the pipe organ can be found on the National Pipe Organ Register at .

Gallery

Sources

Search another word or see inter-laceon Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature
FAVORITES
RECENT

;