Lateral communication means communication between and amongst all given entities at a particular level of an organization.
(It has been observed that they can find their way through mazes by spreading out and choosing the shortest path, an interesting example of information processing without a nervous system.
In 2006, researchers at the University of Southampton and the University of Kobe reported that they had built a six-legged robot whose movement was remotely controlled by a Physarum slime mould. The mould directed the robot into a dark corner most similar to its natural habitat.)
Likewise, on the parade ground, whilst the Sergeant Major is drilling them, they all keep coordinated with each other by laterally communication – by noting where the mass is and fixing there position relative to that.
Thus lateral communication is an essential feature of organizing natural systems and human organizations.
Lateral communication can be encouraged by lateral media and replaced by central media by both replacing LMs role and making it redundant.
whereas Central Media have great difficulty.
Interlock Research Interlock research
1. "Beyond Mass Media" Brian Martin. Science, Technology and Society University of Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia. General discussion of the IRG concept(http://www.uow.edu.au/arts/sts/bmartin/pubs/95metro.html).
2. The Power Of Open Participatory Media And Why Mass Media Must Be Abandoned. Brian Martin, March 20, 2006. General discussion of the IRG concept http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2006/03/20/the_power_of_open_participatory.htm
3. The IRG Solution - Hierarchical Incompetence and how to overcome it. David Andrews. Souvenir Press, London, 1984. Pages 200 - 220. ISBN 0-285-62662-0. Detailed description of the proposal.
4. The Hidden Manager Communication technology and information networks in business organizations. Taylor Graham Cambridge / Los Angeles,1986. David Andrews and John Kent. Much tighter description of IRG concept and its application to business management. ISBN 0-947568-15-8, 198 6 http://www.taylorgraham.com/books/hidmancon.html
4a. Mogens Niss Professor of Mathematics and Mathematics Education IMFUFA, Roskilde University, Denmark "Om folkeskolelaereruddanelsen i det vigtige fag matematik" in Peter Bollerslev (ed.): "Den ny matematik i Danmark - en essaysamling", Copenhagen, Gyldendal, 1979, pp107-122. The relevance paradox is defined on p. 111.
5. Niss, M. (1994) Mathematics in Society. In Biehler, R., Scholz, R. W., Straesser, R., Winkelmann, B. Eds. (1994) The Didactics of Mathematics as a Scientific Discipline. Dordrecht: Kluwer, 367-378. Relevance paradox
6. Energy Research Group, Open University. Communication Within the Agriculture, Water, Waste and Energy Industries. Discussed examples of how the industries mentioned can be integrated to a greater or lesser degree, leading to lower pollution and energy use. Discussed the need for IRGs and how they might be organized. Emphasizes problem is lack of co-ordination and lateral communication between organisations. Describes interlock research in detail, the relevance paradox and the Bilharzia/schistosomiasis issue, central media, lateral diffusion, tacit knowledge, and Lateral Access Networks, later renamed Information Routing Groups, development of private languages as a barrier to inter communication, also describes how computers can be used to speed up lateral communication, and lateral referral . DC Andrews. ERG 033. Open University, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes, England 1980.
6. "The Importance of Knowing the Right People" (Article based on ERG 033 on Lateral Access Networks - the forerunner of Information Routing Groups). Printed in the Guardian Newspaper, London (The National Newspaper) March 20th 1980. Discussed Bilharzia / schistosomiasis relevance paradox.
8. Energy Research Group, Open University . Information Routing Groups. DC Andrews. ERG 037. Generalisation of ERG 033, advocated development of software and automatic phone answering modem to link up private PCs effectively creating an Internet. Open University, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes, England 1980. David Andrews
8a Library Association Record to a seminar run jointly by IEE and the LA on 'Biblionic man', held at the IEE on 26 November 1980. Covered same ground as ERG 033 and ERG 037.
8b. Andrews, D. (1986) Information routeing groups – Towards the global superbrain: or how to find out what you need to know rather than what you think you need to know, Journal of Information Technology, 1, 1, Feb, 22-35. details of lateral referral, diffusion.
9. Yewlett, J . L . Town Planning, Wales, Institute. of Science & Technology . "Networks : Developments in theory & practice" . The paper reviews developments in the U .S .A. & U .K . in recent years, progressing beyond network analysis to explore the structure & use of networks. The paper seeks to address questions of how to construct multi-actor policy structures, & build networks for particular purposes. Contributory concepts explored included the 'Reticulist', the 'Leader/Co- ordinator', the 'Segmented Polycephalous Network' & the 'Information Routing Group' in CONNECTIONS Sunbelt Social Network Conference World Congress of Sociology American Sociological Association VOLUME IX NUMBERS 2-3 Winter, 1986 http://www.insna.org/Connections-Web/Volume09/connections1986_IX-2-3.pdf
10. (see Charnock, Anne (1980) Taking Bilharziasis out of the irrigation equation. New Civil Engineer, 7 August) Bilharzia caused by poor civil engineering design.
11. Social Networks Meet News Aggregation And Filtering: Information Routing Groups http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2006/10/02/social_networks_meet_news_aggregation.htm
WIPO PUBLISHES PATENT OF MIMOS BERHAD FOR "APPARATUS AND METHOD TO MANAGE INTER-COMMUNICATION BETWEEN COMPARTMENTS USING TRUSTED HYPERVISOR/ VISUALIZATION TUNNEL CONTROLLER" (MALAYSIAN INVENTORS)
May 31, 2012; GENEVA, May 31 -- Publication No. WO/2012/067486 was published on May 24. Title of the invention: "APPARATUS AND METHOD TO MANAGE...
Contract Notice: Department of the Navy (New Jersey) Issues Solicitation for "Wireless Inter Communication Systems"
Dec 08, 2011; WASHINGTON, Dec. 23 -- Department of the Navy, Naval Air Systems Command has a requirement for "Wireless Inter Communication...
Wipo Publishes Patent of B. Amutha for "A System and Apparatus for Safe Remote On-Line Tracing, Shadowing, Surveillance, Inter-Communication, Location, Navigation, Tagging, Rescue, Recovery and Restitution of Humans and Stolen/ missing Chattels and the Method/ s Thereof" (Indian Inventors)
Oct 30, 2012; GENEVA, Oct. 30 -- Publication No. WO/2012/143952 was published on Oct. 26. Title of the invention: "A SYSTEM AND APPARATUS FOR...
Contract Notice: Department of Homeland Security (North Carolina) Issues Solicitation for "Sustaining Engineering & Technical Support Services for Operational Performance of the Common Digital Inter-Communication System (CDICS) for H60 Helicopters"
Aug 15, 2013; WASHINGTON, Aug. 15 -- Department of Homeland Security, United States Coast Guard (USCG) has a requirement for "Sustaining...
United Kingdom Intellectual Property Office Publishes Application for the Trademark "BRANDWIDTH" to Associated Newspapers for Multiple Products, Services
Sep 20, 2010; SOUTH WALES, United Kingdom, Sept. 20 -- Associated Newspapers Ltd., York, has filed the trademark "BRANDWIDTH" (customer's...