Back in the Roman time, people had lived in Best, based on archaeological excavations around the village. The first written text about Best dates back to about 775 AC, which reads: uijt eene edele stamme onder de Franken werd Sint Odulphus, patroonheilige van Best, geboren. This means: from a noble tribe under the Francs Saint Odulphus, patron of Best, was born. The tale goes his birth place is at the same place on which now the Saint Odulphus church is built.
Two centuries ago, Best itself didn't yet exist. There were three small villages: Naastenbest, in the west, Wilhelminadorp, in the south and Verrenbest, at where now the Oranjestraat is. They grew together, and formed the village with the name Best.
In 1866, Best got a train station on the line Rotterdam - Breda - Boxtel - Helmond - Venlo - Maastricht. First the line had one track, but soon there was too much traffic and the line became double tracked. But in the 1980s this again wasn't enough anymore so since 2002 the station has had four tracks. Also is it today possible to travel to Best from Utrecht or Eindhoven by train.
The head quarters of Philips Medical Systems is located in Best.
One can take a bus (line numbers 141/142/144) from the Eindhoven central station to Best.