is a man-made object that is venerated
in some way. More specific terms include:
- Cult image, a religion-neutral term for a man-made object that is venerated for the deity, spirit or daemon that it embodies or represents.
- Idolatry, a term used in religion for the non-monotheism worship of cult images, termed idols.
- Idolization, (verb: to idolize): as an excessive admiration, devotion, envy or attachment to a person or thing.
- Icon, a representative image, sometimes considered sacred.
- Murti, a point of focus for devotion or meditation in Hindu and Buddhist religion (not always man-made).
Idol may also mean:
- Idol (philosophy), one of several concepts developed by various philosophers.
- IDOL meta software developed by Autonomy Corporation.
- Teen idol, a popular celebrity "worshipped" by teenagers.
- Japanese idol, a heavily promoted and merchandised singer or actor.
- Billy Idol, English rock musician.
- Idol series, one of several television shows that give formerly unknown persons an opportunity to become stars. The Idol series is a television phenomenon that started in the United Kingdom and has since spread around the world - Australia, Singapore, Canada, France, Germany, India, the United States, Denmark, the Netherlands, Finland, South Africa, West African countries, and many other countries.
- Pop Idol, the original Idol series which began in Britain.
- American Idol, a highly popular American television talent competition.
- "Idol", an episode of the television show Power Rangers: SPD.
- The iDol, Japanese comedy movie.
- Idol Records, a record label.
- Brad Cain, a professional wrestler known as Lodi and Idol.
- Idoling!!!, a Japanese female idol group.