Chiriquí is a province of Panama, it is located on the western coast of Panama and is the most developed province in the country. The capital is the city of David. The local government of Chiriquí is modeled after that of the United States.
The province of Chiriquí is located in the western region of Panama. It is bordered to the north by the provinces Bocas del Toro and Ngobe-Buglé, to the west by Costa Rica, to the east by the province of Veraguas, and to the south by the Pacific Ocean.
It has a size of 6,476.2 km², with a population of 368,790 people occupying 87,509 houses as of the year 2000.
Until the arrival of Spaniards, Chiriquí was populated by a number of indigenous tribes, known collectively as guaymies. These tribes include changuinas, zurias, boquerones, buricas, doraces, bugabas, and gualacas.
The province is divided in 13 districts
- Alanje District. Corregimientos include: Alanje (capital), Divalá, El Tejar, Guarumal, Palo Grande, Querévalo, Santo Tomás, Canta Gallo and Nuevo México.
- Barú District. Corregimientos include: Puerto Armuelles (capital), Limones, Progreso, Baco and Rodolfo Aguilar Delgado.
- Boquerón District. Corregimientos include Boquerón (capital), Bágala, Cordillera, Guabal, Guayabal, Paraíso, Pedregal and Tijeras.
- Boquete District. Corregimientos include Bajo Boquete (capital), Caldera, Palmira, Alto Boquete, Jaramillo and Los Naranjos.
- Bugaba District. Corregimientos include La Concepción (capital), Aserrío de Gariché, Bugaba, Cerro Punta, Gómez, La Estrella, San Andrés, Santa Marta, Santa Rosa, Santo Domingo, Sortová, Volcán and El Bongo.
- David District. Corregimientos include David (capital), Bijagual, Cochea, Chiriquí, Guacá, Las Lomas, Pedregal, San Carlos, San Pablo Nuevo and San Pablo Viejo.
- Dolega District. Corregimientos include Dolega (capital), Dos Ríos, Los Anastacios, Potrerillos, Potrerillos Abajo, Rovira, Tinajas and Los Algarrobos.
- Gualaca District. Corregimientos include Gualaca (capital), Hornito, Los Angeles, Paja de Sombrero and Rincón.
- Remedios District. Corregimientos include Remedios (capital), El Nancito, El Porvenir, El Puerto and Santa Lucía.
- Renacimiento District. Corregimientos include Río Sereno (capital), Breñón, Cañas Gordas, Monte Lirio, Plaza de Caisán, Santa Cruz, Dominical and Santa Clara.
- San Félix District. Corregimientos include Las Lajas (capital), Juay, San Félix, Lajas Adentro and Santa Cruz.
- San Lorenzo District. Corregimientos include Horconcitos (capital), Boca Chica, Boca del Monte, San Juan and San Lorenzo.
- Tolé District. Corregimientos include Tolé (capital), Cerro Viejo, Lajas de Tolé, Potrero de Caña, Quebrada de Piedra, Bella Vista, El Cristo, Justo Fidel Palacios and Veladero.
Chiriquí was first discovered in 1519 by Gaspar de Espinosa. The province
was officially established on May 26, 1849, when Panama
was still part of Colombia
. Chiriqui was Abraham Lincoln's favored destination for colonization by free blacks.
Chiriqui was the province in which Manuel Noreiga rose in the military
ranks which included helping bring Omar Torrijos
back into the country after a coup
. To help he lined up jeeps with their lights on the runway in David
to allow Torrijos' plane
to land. Chiriqui was also the heart of a short lived pro-democracy guerilla
movement in the late 60's early 70's.
The economy of Chiriquí is based principally on livestock
and the production of
, making it the primary province of these materials for the rest of the country. Also, tourism
is beginning to increase as the province becomes a destination for national and international tourists.
features a variety of climates
. From hot and humid lowland
areas near David
which is in the lowlands, to the cool and moist highlands
of Cerro Punta
which is considered the highest altitude city, accessible via paved roads and down to Puerto Armuelles