The University of Central Missouri (formerly Central Missouri State University) is a four-year public institution in Warrensburg, Missouri.
The University started in 1871 as State Normal School, District #2 and became known as Warrensburg Teachers College, especially where athletics were concerned. The name was changed to Central Missouri State Teachers College in 1919, Central Missouri State College in 1946, and Central Missouri State University in 1971. In 2005, Missouri Governor Matt Blunt signed into law a provision authorizing Central Missouri State University to change its name, if so desired, to the University of Central Missouri. The University's name was changed to the University of Central Missouri on September 20, 2006. In 1965, the institution established a graduate school.
The National Honors Fraternity, Phi Sigma Pi was founded at the University of Central Missouri by President Eldo L. Hendricks, Dean Claude A. Phillips, and Professor C. H. McClure on February 14, 1916 when the school was called Central Missouri State University. The national men's social fraternity Sigma Tau Gamma was founded at what was then called Central Missouri State Teachers College on June 28, 1920.
Go Mules! Fight to win for the team we love the best
Go Mules! Don't give in, put our name above the rest.
Fight! Fight! Fight!
Go Mules! We're for you and we let the whole world know
That at U-C-M, it's go, Mules go!
Central Missouri's athletic teams compete in the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association, or MIAA. The school colors are Cardinal and Black. Athletic division include basketball, baseball, women's bowling, American football, golf, women's soccer, softball, cross-country, track, volleyball, and wrestling. UCM's athletic teams are called Mules (men) and Jennies (women) they have a living mascot named Mancow, and another named Mo the Mule. Central Missouri's Director of Athletics is Jerry Hughes.
Basketball games are played in the UCM Multipurpose Building. Built in 1976, The Multi, as it is known to students and alumni, has a capacity of 8,500 for basketball games. Football games are held at Audrey J. Walton Stadium at Vernon Kennedy Field. The stadium was erected in 1928 and underwent a major face-lift in 1995. The stadium officially holds 10,000 people, but crowds often approach 12,000.
University of Central Missouri's campus also includes 18-hole Keth Memorial Golf Course. Keth Memorial is complete with a fully-equipped pro shop. It is also the home facility for Mules’ golf, as well as Mules’ and Jennies’ cross country.
The university also produces a weekly newspaper named The Muleskinner. The paper is produced by students and is overseen by a faculty advisor.
Florida Lottery and Tallahassee Community College Join Together to Honor Bright Futures Scholarship Recipients with Ice Cream Social
Sep 19, 2012; TALLAHASSEE, FL -- The following information was released by the Florida Lottery: The Florida Lottery and Tallahassee Community...