|SS Henry R. Schoolcraft|
|Displacement:||7,000 tons deadweight|
|Length:||441 ft 6 in (135 m)|
|Beam:||56 ft 10.75 in (17.3 m)|
|Draft:||27 ft 9.25 in (8.5 m)|
|Propulsion:||Two oil fired boilers, |
triple expansion steam engine,
single screw, 2500 horsepower (1.9 MW)
|Speed:||11 to 11.5 knots (20 to 21 km/h)|
|Armament:||Stern-mounted 4 in (102 mm) deck gun for use against surfaced submarines, variety of anti-aircraft guns.|
|Capacity:||9,140 tons cargo|
Named after Henry R. Schoolcraft, an American geographer, geologist, and ethnologist, the ship was laid down by Permanente Metals in their Richmond, California Yard #2. on December 11, 1943, then launched on December 30, 1943. The vessel was operated under a USAT (United States Army Transport) identification, meaning that it was under the control of the Army Transportation Service. In 1947, the ship was sold into private ownership. However, in 1967, the ship was wrecked and subsequently scrapped.
James Buchanan's Desk Returned to Wheatland ; Former President's Descendants Donate Furniture and Other Heirlooms
Jun 09, 2013; Staff Writer firstname.lastname@example.orgYou can imagine Old Buck, harried by the threat of Southern secession, pausing in his work to...