She Will Have Her Way is a compilation album featuring female Australian and New Zealand musicians performing songs written by Neil Finn and Tim Finn (The Finn Brothers), members of Split Enz and Crowded House.
The album takes its name from Neil Finn's single "She Will Have Her Way
" from Try Whistling This
, however the song does not appear on this album, nor does any other from Neil Finn's solo career. The album is a mixture of songs previously recorded for prior releases (such as "Better Be Home Soon") and some recorded specifically for the project ("Distant Sun," "Fall at Your Feet," "Stuff and Nonsense" etc).
A special edition of the album was released with a second disc containing all of the original versions of the songs remastered. Its cover was slightly redesigned with a pale blue instead of a dark blue background and subtle added background elements.
Charts and certifications
She Will Have Her Way
peaked at #3 in the ARIA Charts
. It entered the RIANZ
album charts on November 7
2005 at #6 and moved up to its peak of #4 the next week and stayed there for another week. In total, it spent 15 weeks in the RIANZ top 40.
Differences to original versions
Some songs have distinct differences to the original versions, while some maintain the general feel of the original.
- In "Distant Sun," Fraser omits the bridge lyric "Like a Christian fearing vengeance from above," presumably due to her Christian faith.
- In "Six Months in a Leaky Boat," much of the song is omitted, particularly the lower tempo parts of the song.
- "Four Seasons" was originally entitled "Four Seasons In One Day."
- "I Hope I Never" is converted from 4/4 into 3/4.
- "Persuasion" is converted from a "natural" folk rock song into a "synthetic" pop-rock song, and changed the gender references to neutral as opposed to male (eg. "I will always be a man who's open to persuasion" was changed to "I will always be someone who's open to persuasion")
- "Charlie" converted from a sombre ballad into an uptempo rock song.
- "Into Temptation" originally had the line "You and your new blue dress," however Geyer changed this line to "You and your deep blue eyes" and converted the rock ballad into a RnB-ballad instead.
- "Fall at Your Feet" - Clare Bowditch - 3:50
- "Stuff and Nonsense" - Missy Higgins - 3:31
- "I'll Never Know" - Goldenhorse - 3:04
- "Into Temptation" - Renée Geyer - 4:56
- "Six Months in a Leaky Boat" - Little Birdy - 3:53
- "Better Be Home Soon" - Kasey Chambers - 3:19
- "Distant Sun" - Brooke Fraser - 3:56
- "Not the Girl You Think You Are" - Holly Throsby - 3:36
- "I Hope I Never" - Lisa Miller - 4:09
- "Don't Dream It's Over" - Sarah Blasko - 4:42
- "One Step Ahead" - Amiel - 3:01
- "Four Seasons" - New Buffalo - 4:00
- "Won't Give In" - Sara Storer - 4:18
- "Pineapple Head" - Natalie Imbruglia - 3:23
- "Persuasion" - Stellar* - 3:41
- "Charlie" - Sophie Koh - 3:47
Special Edition disc two
All tracks are in the same sequence as disc one, however these are the original versions. These recordings were remastered for this release.
- "Fall at Your Feet" - Crowded House - 3:20
- "Stuff and Nonsense" - Split Enz - 4:24
- "I'll Never Know" - Tim Finn - 3:06
- "Into Temptation" - Crowded House - 4:35
- "Six Months in a Leaky Boat" - Split Enz - 4:21
- "Better Be Home Soon" - Crowded House - 3:08
- "Distant Sun" - Crowded House - 3:51
- "Not the Girl You Think You Are" - Crowded House - 4:08
- "I Hope I Never" - Split Enz - 4:33
- "Don't Dream It's Over" - Crowded House - 3:59
- "One Step Ahead" - Split Enz - 2:53
- "Four Seasons In One Day" - Crowded House - 2:50
- "Won't Give In" - Finn Brothers - 4:16
- "Pineapple Head" - Crowded House - 3:29
- "Persuasion" - Tim Finn - 3:54
- "Charlie" - Split Enz - 5:30