See biography by H. F. Young (1959).
Harden-Murrumburrah is a township and the centre of Harden Shire and is located in the South West Slopes region of New South Wales in Australia and is adjacent to both the Canberra region of the Australian Capital Territory, and the Riverina Region in the southwest area of NSW. The town is a twin town between Harden and Murrumburrah (which is noted as one of the earliest settlements in the southwest of New South Wales).
The shire is traversed by the Burley Griffin Way, the major link from the Riverina to the Hume Highway near Yass, and ultimately Sydney, Canberra and the coast. Cunningham Creek runs along the edge of the town.
Before European settlement the Harden area was inhabited by the Wiradjuri people. Hume and Hovell passed neaby in 1824. In the late 1820s, the 'Murrumburra' was established. Its superintendent, James Kennedy, established an inn on the townsite in the late 1840s. Gold was found in the area in the 1850s. A railway station was opened one km east of Murrumburrah on the Main Southern line in 1877 as Murrumburrah Station, but changed its name to Harden Station, a year after the opening of a new station in Murrumburrah in 1879. The first Australian Lighthorse was also founded in Harden-Murrumburrah, with the Lighthorse festival occuring annually. Jack Wilfred Granger was the youngest mayor of Harden, and sadly passed away in June 2008. Harden has remained as the main station and, as a result, became the main town. The Main Southern Railway passes through Harden which was once one of the great railway towns. Countrylink provide 4 XPT services passing through the town daily, an Xplorer service to Griffith on Saturday returning Sundays and a daily coach service between Cootamundra and Canberra. Harden was formerly part of Demondrille Shire.