"Let's Stop Hanging Out" is the third single by Surrey-based rock band Reuben. It was recorded in November 2002 at Jacob's studios in Farnham with Paul Tipler. It was recorded and mixed from start to finish in one day. The b-sides were recorded over night at Air studios in London with Adam Noble, who had recorded some of the bands early demos at the University of Surrey. It was released in January 2003 on Badmusic and received mixed reviews in the press, but was made Radio 1 single of the week by Colin Murray and reached the top of the MTV2 chart. Presenter Zane Lowe invited the band onto his brown couch to tell them personally. Despite this, people in some parts of the country had difficulty obtaining the single in record shops given its relatively low chart position in the first week.
- "Let's Stop Hanging Out"
- "Alpha Signal Five"
- "Numb At Four In The Morning"
- Jamie Lenman - Guitars, vocals
- Jon Pearce - Bass Guitar
- Guy Davis - Drums
(From the band's site
- The title track was chosen by the band as a single because they deemed it representative of their general sound, more so than the previous two singles, Scared of the Police and Stux.
- 'Alpha Signal Five is An old song from old drummer Mark Lawton's time in the band. An earlier version of this was song was amongst the original five songs that the band had demoed two years previously with Adam Noble when he was a degree student.
- 'Numb At Four In The Morning had been played regularly at acoustic shows and still is today. This version owes its title to the "cold sleepy hours" of the overnight session at Air Studios.
- Jacob's studios, where the title track was recorded, is just down the road from where the band used to practice in a shed on a farm. The band had been there a few months previously to take part in the studio's promotional video , and to jump about in their pool.
- During the recording of the b-sides, Jamie covered his entire left arm and face in gaffa tape, which had to be removed before the guitar tracks were laid down.
- The video for the song includes appearances from members of local Christian rockers Cephas, and Reuben webmaster/Badmusic boss Ric Melia, who had to wear six layers of t-shirts in order to look big enough to be Jamie's double.
- Jamie's new shoes, seen in the first shot of the video, were ruined when they were put in the same bag as the paint used for the tattoos.
- Police were called in on the set of the video after reports of the repeated kidnapping of Guy from the Rockbox in Camberley by three men in balaclavas, who put him down after ten metres and walked back into the shop with him each time.
- The live footage in the video was shot at the Astoria in London.