See biographies by L. Sears (1912, repr. 1972), W. T. Baxter (1945), H. S. Allan (1948), and F. Wagner (1964).
(born Jan. 12, 1737, Braintree, Mass.—died Oct. 8, 1793, Quincy, Mass., U.S.) American Revolutionary leader. He entered the mercantile business of his wealthy uncle in Boston in 1754. His adherence to the patriot cause dates from the Stamp Act, which, as a leading merchant, he protested. In 1769, soon after the British seized one of his ships, he was elected to the Massachusetts legislature, and he chaired the Boston town committee formed after the Boston Massacre. He became president of the provincial congress (1774–75), and he and Samuel Adams led the Massachusetts Patriots. In 1775 both were forced to flee from British troops sent to arrest them for treason. Hancock was a member of the Continental Congress (1775–80), serving as its president (1775–77); the bold flourish with which he signed the Declaration of Independence has made his name synonymous with “signature.” As governor of Massachusetts (1780–85, 1787–93), he presided over the state's ratification of the Constitution in 1788.
Learn more about Hancock, John with a free trial on Britannica.com.
Hancock is a city in Houghton County. It is the northernmost city in the U.S. state of Michigan, located on the Keweenaw Peninsula, or, depending on terminology, Copper Island. As of the 2000 census, the city population was 4,323; the city website estimates its current population as 4,900. It is the sister city of Porvoo, Finland. Laurn Grove Park is located in West Hancock.
The city was named after John Hancock.
The earliest building in what is now the City of Hancock was a log cabin erected in 1846 on the site of the Ruggles Mining Claim; it is no longer standing, the site taken up by the Houghton County Garage buildings. It was owned by Christopher C[olumbus]. Douglass, who came to live there in 1852. The Quincy Mining Company founded Hancock in 1859 after purchasing land from Douglass and building an office and mine on the site.
Hancock's first store was built by the Leopold brothers in 1858; the store also housed the first post office. Samuel Hill, an agent for the Quincy Mining Company, platted Hancock Village in 1859. Although it was organized and officers elected in 1863, the village was not incorporated until 1875 under a charter amended in 1877.
In 1869 a fire burnt down about 75% of the village. There was also a significant fire in the 1940s that destroyed much of the downtown.
The Mineral Range Railroad began providing passenger and freight service between Hancock and Calumet in 1873.
Hancock was incorporated as a city in 1903.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.8 square miles (7.4 km²). 2.5 square miles (6.5 km²) of it is land and 0.9 km² (0.3 sq mi) of it (12.28%) is water. Hancock is connected to Houghton, Michigan by the Portage Lake Lift Bridge, which crosses the dredged Portage Lake.
The city is bounded on the south by the Portage Canal; and on the east by Limerick, an unincorporated community straddling Quincy and Franklin Townships, Frenchtown, Sing-Sing and Franklin Mine, unincorporated communities in Franklin Township; and on the north by Quincy and Hancock Townships.
Doctors' Park, located in West Hancock near the former Portage View Hospital Building (now the Portage Campus of Finlandia University), is so called because many of the residents are physicians. It lies north of West Quincy Street.
Hancock hosts an annual midwinter festival called Heikinpäivä.
Every summer, the cities of Hancock and neighboring Houghton host a festival known as "Bridgefest," to commemorate the building of the Portage Lake Lift Bridge.
There were 1,769 households out of which 23.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 39.2% were married couples living together, 9.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 49.0% were non-families. 38.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.22 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the city the population was spread out with 19.0% under the age of 18, 18.0% from 18 to 24, 22.6% from 25 to 44, 20.1% from 45 to 64, and 20.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 98.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $28,118, and the median income for a family was $36,625. Males had a median income of $27,090 versus $22,150 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,669. About 6.9% of families and 14.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.0% of those under age 18 and 15.1% of those age 65 or over.
The Kerredge Gallery and the Republic Bank Gallery are both located inside the Copper Country Community Arts Center.
Turquoise Art Gallery is also located in Hancock.
| ||US 41 courses north on a scenic drive to Calumet and Copper Harbor. To the south and east U S41 routes to Houghton and Marquette.|
| ||M-26 routes north to Hubbell, Lake Linden and Laurium, Michigan. Before reaching its ending in Copper Harbor, M-26 follows a scenic stretch along Lake Superior|
| ||M-203 serves as a connector to McLain State Park.|
Hancock Public Transit operates a demand bus which will take riders to anywhere in Hancock, Houghton, or Ripley.