See biography by R. J. Connors (1971); study by D. D. McKean (1940, repr. 1967).
Although it has some industries (the manufacture of clothing, metal goods, printed materials, and food products), The Hague's economy revolves around government administration, which is centered there rather than in Amsterdam, the constitutional capital of the Netherlands. The Hague is the seat of the Dutch legislature, the Dutch supreme court, the International Court of Justice, and foreign embassies. The city is the headquarters of numerous companies, including the Royal Dutch Shell petroleum company. Also of economic importance are banking, insurance, and trade.
Among the numerous landmarks of The Hague is the Binnenhof, which grew out of the 13th-century palace and houses both chambers of the legislature; the Binnenhof contains the 13th-century Hall of Knights (Dutch Ridderzaal), where many historic meetings have been held. Nearby is the Gevangenenpoort, the 14th-century prison where Jan de Witt and Cornelius de Witt were murdered in 1672. The Mauritshuis, a 17th-century structure built as a private residence for John Maurice of Nassau, is an art museum and contains several of the greatest works of Rembrandt and Vermeer.
The Peace Palace (Dutch Vredespaleis), which was financed by Andrew Carnegie and opened in 1913, houses the Permanent Court of Arbitration and, since 1945, the International Court of Justice. Among the other notable buildings are the former royal palace; the Groote Kerk, a Gothic church (15th-16th cent.); the Nieuwe Kerk, containing Spinoza's tomb; the 16th-century town hall; and the Netherlands Conference Center (1969). Educational institutions in The Hague include schools of music and international law. Northwest of the city is Scheveningen, a popular North Sea resort and a fishing port.
The Hague was (13th cent.) the site of a hunting lodge of the counts of Holland ('s Gravenhage means "the count's hedge"). William, count of Holland, began (c.1250) the construction of a palace, around which a town grew in the 14th and 15th cent. In 1586 the States-General of the United Provs. of the Netherlands convened in The Hague, which later (17th cent.) became the residence of the stadtholders and the capital of the Dutch republic. In the 17th cent., The Hague rose to be one of the chief diplomatic and intellectual centers of Europe. William III (William of Orange), stadtholder of Holland and other Dutch provinces as well as king of England (1689-1702), was born in The Hague.
In the early 19th cent., after Amsterdam had become the constitutional capital of the Netherlands, The Hague received its own charter from Louis Bonaparte. It was (1815-30) the alternative meeting place, with Brussels, of the legislature of the United Netherlands. The Dutch royal residence from 1815 to 1948, the city was greatly expanded and beautified in the mid-19th cent. by King William II. In 1899 the First Hague Conference met there on the initiative of Nicholas II of Russia; ever since, The Hague has been a center for the promotion of international justice and arbitration.
The Town of Hague is on the eastern border of the county.
Sabbath Day Point was used a landing place in 1758 for British armies en route to attack the French at Fort Carillion until it was eventually captured by General Jeffery Amherst. It was then renamed Fort Ticonderoga.
During the American Revolution, Benjamin Franklin twice encamped there traveling to and from Canada as an emissary of the Continental Congress in an unsuccessful attempt to have Canada join the Colonies in the revolution. He was Postmaster General and in this capacity, he conducted temporary postal processing functions on each of his stays at Sabbath Day Point.
The town was first settled around 1796. The Town of Hague was originally part of the Town of Bolton and was created in 1807 as the Town of Rochester. In 1808 it changed its name to Hague .
In 1904 the waters of Hague bay were home of the Lake George Monster. The "monster" was the creation of Harry Watrous, and was part of a practical joke.
The east town line is the border of Washington County, New York. The town and county include the surface of Lake George so that only the opposite shore is part of Washington County. The north town line is the border of Essex County, New York.
Throughout the 1970s, a bitter battle raged between seasonal and year-round residents over the viability of the school, with a student population of about 200 in grades K-12. Several annexation votes were held between 1972 and 1979. Many argued that consolidation with the Ticonderoga Central School District to the north would reduce taxes in the Town. Ironically, nearly three decades after consolidation, the same segment of seasonal residents that originally pushed for consolidation now are protesting that Hague is taxed disportionately.
Through the last decades of its existence, Hague athletic teams were known as the Raiders, using various depicitions of Indians as their mascot. Originally sporting red and gray colors, those team colors had morphed into red and white by the 1970s.
Hague competed in the old Marcy League, which included teams from Bolton Landing, Chestertown, Horicon, Pottersville, Keene Valley, Indian Lake, Minerva, Newcomb, Long Lake, and Wells. Hague competed in soccer, basketball, and baseball.
In 1977-78 and again in 1978-79, Hague's basketball team advanced in the post-season beyond the sectionals. Competing in Section VII as a Class D school, the Hague Raiders won the Section VII title both years, advancing to the State Semi-Finals in 1978. In 1979 the Raiders advanced to the Capital District Semi-Finals.
There were 371 households out of which 20.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.6% were married couples living together, 7.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.2% were non-families. 27.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.30 and the average family size was 2.76.
In the town the population was spread out with 19.6% under the age of 18, 4.3% from 18 to 24, 20.6% from 25 to 44, 29.5% from 45 to 64, and 26.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 48 years. For every 100 females there were 95.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.4 males. The median income for a household in the town was $39,375, and the median income for a family was $48,068. Males had a median income of $40,568 versus $21,964 for females. The per capita income for the town was $27,344. About 4.6% of families and 7.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.1% of those under age 18 and 6.7% of those age 65 or over.