Edwin Grant Conklin
(November 24 1863
– November 20 1952
) was a U.S. biologist
, born at Waldo Ohio
, and educated at Ohio Wesleyan
and Johns Hopkins
universities. He was professor
of biology at Ohio Wesleyan (1891-94) and professor of zoölogy at Northwestern
(1894-96), the University of Pennsylvania
(1896-1908), and Princeton
(after 1908). He became coeditor of the Journal of Morphology
, the Biological Bulletin
, and the Journal of Experimental Zoölogy
. He was president of the American Society of Naturalists
in 1912 and president
of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
In 1995 the Society for Developmental Biology inaugurated the Edwin Grant Conklin Medal in his honor.
- "The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.
- Gehring, Walter J (2004). "Precis of Edwin G. Conklin's JEZ article, "Mosaic Development in Ascidian Eggs"". J. Exp. Zoolog. Part A Comp. Exp. Biol. 301 (6): 461-3.
- Cooke, Kathy J (2002). "Duty or dream? Edwin G. Conklin's critique of eugenics and support for American individualism". Journal of the history of biology 35 (2): 365-84.
- Reumann, M; Fausto-Sterling A (2001). "Notions of heredity in the correspondence of Edwin Grant Conklin". Perspect. Biol. Med. 44 (3): 414-25.
- Atkinson, J W (1985). "E. G. Conklin on evolution: the popular writings of an embryologist". Journal of the history of biology 18 (1): 31-50.
- Fankhauser, G "Memories of great embryologists. Reminiscences of F. Baltzer, H. Spemann, F. R. Lillie, R. G. Harrison, and E. G. Conklin". Am. Sci. 60 (1): 46-55.
- KRUMBHAAR, E B (1954). "Memoir of Edwin Grant Conklin (1863-1952)". Transactions & studies of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia 21 (3): 131.