is a Japanese
telecommunications and media corporation
, with operations in broadband
, fixed-line telecommunications
, broadmedia, technology
, and other businesses.
SoftBank was established in Tokyo, Japan on September 3, 1981, and had a market capitalisation of approximately US$32.8 billion at 28 February 2006.
SoftBank's corporate profile includes various other companies such as Japanese broadband company Cable & Wireless IDC, cable company BB-Serve, and gaming company GungHo Online Entertainment. Additionally, it has various partnerships in Japanese subsidiaries of foreign companies such as Yahoo!, E-Trade and Morningstar.
SoftBank is the official carrier of the iPhone 3G for Japan.
- January 28, 2005 - SoftBank becomes the owner of the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks, a Nippon Professional Baseball team.
- March 17, 2006 - SoftBank announces its agreement to buy Vodafone Japan, giving it a stake in Japan's $78 billion mobile market.
- Early April, 2006 - Softbank completed the purchase of 23% of Betfair, an Internet betting exchange.
- October 1, 2006 - Vodafone Japan changes its corporate name, mobile phone brand name, and its mobile phone domain name to SoftBank Mobile, SoftBank, and [mb.softbank.jp] respectively.
- January 28,2008 - It was announced that SoftBank and Tiffany & Co. collaborated in making a limited 10 model-only cellphone. This cellphone contains more than 400 platinum diamond, totalling more than 20 karat. The cost is said to be more than 100,000,000 yen.
- June 4, 2008 - SoftBank Mobile announced partnership with Apple and will be bringing the iPhone (3G) to Japan later in 2008