Gulf of Patras

Gulf of Patras

[puh-tras, pa-truhs]

The Gulf of Patras (Greek: Πατραϊκός Κόλπος Patraikós Kólpos) is a branch of the Ionian Sea. On the east, it is closed by the Strait of Rion between capes Rio, Greece and Antirrio, near the Rio-Antirio bridge. On the west, it is bounded by a line from Oxeia island to Cape Araxos. It is 40–50 km long, 10–20 km wide, and has an area of 350–400 km². The Port of Patras lies to the southeast and is the only major port on the gulf. It serves ferries to Ancona and Brindisi in Italy along with Kefallonia. Messolonghi also has a port. There are beaches in the south, the east and parts of the north. The old ports of Rio-Antirio lie east of the gulf. The gulf is rich in fish.

The three battles called 'Battle of Lepanto' were fought in this gulf: that of 1499, that of 1500 and the proper one, that of 1571, though Lepanto itself is in the Gulf of Corinth.

The ship Vivi hit a mine and sank 30 m below sea level on September 11, 1940.

Cities and towns

Tributaries

Pukli Moos

External links

Search another word or see gulf of patrason Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature