Ken Lawrence Instruments
is a manufacturer of custom guitars
and custom bass guitars founded by Ken Lawrence in 1986, besides building instruments Lawrence has also done work as a bassist
both live and in recording sessions. Lawrence began building instruments in 1981 at Moonstone Guitars and five years later he set up his own company. Lawrence mainly builds handcrafted bass guitars with a delivery time close to a year and 20 to 25 built each year. But he has also built guitars for James Hetfield
guitarist and vocalist of metalband Metallica
. Most of the guitars built for Hetfield are based around the measurements of his ESP
Explorer but with changes done to the headstock and with custom inlays on the fretboard.
All instruments are built on idividual basis with each customer. Lawrence avoids the use of endangered woods and advocates the use of "Responsibly Harvested" rain forest hardwoods for his instruments. Bodies are usually made in Ash
, or Mahogany
but other types of wood are avilable if the customer demands it. All necks are made of eastern hard rock maple and is usually fitted with fretboards in grenadillo or katalox. All bass guitars can be ordered in diffrent finishes, with or without frets and with a variety of diffrent pickups and preamps.
Line of bass guitars
- Sculpted two piece body of select southern ash or alder.
- Graphite reinforced maple neck with 24 fret rosewood or grenadillo fretboard.
- Custom made Bass Line pickups with 3 band preamp and black hardware.
- Available as four, five and six strings.
- Sculpted selects ash body with upper horn connected to neck at the 12th fret.
- Hard rock maple neck with graphite spars and dual flex truss rod.
- Custom Bass line pickups and preamps.
- Available in five or six stringed versions.
- Sculpted semihollow mahogany body with red wood top and soundholes.
- Extended ebony tailpiece and heightadjustable ebony piezo bridge.
- Custom Bass line pickups and 3 band preamp.
- Available as five or six stringed versions.