was a noise rock
band from Boston, Massachusetts
formed in the wake of the early 1990s grunge
movement. Spore were signed in 1993 on the Taang! Records
label, the same label which initially signed The Lemonheads
, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones
and Mission of Burma
, with whom the band released a 7 inch EP.
Lead singer Mona Elliot's voice has been described as channelling "anger and determination with a style heavily influenced by early Throwing Muses-era Kristin Hersh." The Spore song, Fun from the group's third album, was part of the Natural Born Killers film's soundtrack, though not released on the official soundtrack CD.
Elliot went on to form another well-regarded Boston-based band, Victory at Sea, in 1996. Ayal Naor started up the avant-garde band 27 and contributed to the Isis album Oceanic.
- Mona Elliot (vocals, guitar, bass)
- Ayal Naor (vocals, bass, guitar)
- Marc Orleans (guitars, vocals)
- Christian Negrette (drums, vocals))
- Fear God/She's So Heavy -- Taang! Records -- 1993
- Fear God / She's So Heavy / Sick / Bleeding Gums
- Giant -- Taang! Records -- 1993
- Paradise / Power Behind / Red To Green / Sick / Crazy Summer / Untitled / Age / Gunfire / Samantha / Black Nail / Flesh Eater
- Spore -- Taang! Records -- 1993
- Number One / Lee / Fun / Feedback / She Makes Me Feel Violent / Splinter / Bleeding Gums / Fear God