Gripin is a rock band based in Istanbul, Turkey. Also Gripin is a medicine name for flu. The members are Birol (vocals), Murat (guitar), Evren (Bass guitar), Ilker (Drums) and Arda (Keyboard).
They started as a cover band, playing in bars like Bronx
in mid 90s, and earned a cult following. Their wide repertoire not only included Britpop
, but also featured examples of American Alternative rock
, and in some cases Turkish Rock. The band started off together in 1999 playing mostly cover tracks out at Turkish bars and clubs. Before they knew it, they manged to establish themselves a name behind the music they covered.
In early 2000s they started recording their own songs and, released Hikayeler Anlatıldı (Stories are told)
(2004), which was later released as a double album containing the acoustic versions of the album's songs. Some of the singles featured in this album include, "Karışmasın Kimseler" (Nobody should stand between us) and "Elalem" (Everybody).
The following album is a self-titled one, which was released on 26 February 2007
. The new album features duets with popular Turkish artists like Ferman Akgül from maNga
, Pamela Spence
and Emre Aydın
. The producer of the album is Haluk Kurosman
, the successful producer of many young Turkish talents (like maNga, Vega
and Emre Aydın). The band is managed by Hadi Elazzi
, the company he owns together with Kurosman.
Gripin's new single, entitled Böyle kahpedir dünya (The World Is Such a Whore) has become a huge hit with television and radio stations, having led the top 10 chart of MTV Türkiye. The following single, "Sensiz İstanbul'a Düşmanım" (I loath İstanbul Without You) - a duet with Emre Aydın - saw an equal amount of success in terms of its popularity in Turkey.
The band has recently won the prestigious Hürriyet Altın Kelebek Awards as Best Newcoming Band. (See Awards section) To this day, the band continues to perform in clubs, concerts and festivals.
- Birol Namoğlu was born on 9 November, 1978 and studied metallurgic engineering. He is the vocalist of the band.
- İlker Baliç is the drummer of Gripin, born on 22 May, 1980. He studies (in English) at the School of Economics of Istanbul University.
- Murat Başdoğan, born on 26 December, 1981 is the guitarist of the band. He studies architecture at Mimar Sinan University.
- Evren Gülçığ is the bass guitarist, born on 6 September, 1977. He studied civil engineering and graduated from Istanbul University in finance. He used to be the creative director of his own company dealing with web-designing. Now he works for an advertising company as multimedia director.
- Arda İnceoğlu was born on 21 February, 1982. He plays the keyboard in gripin and at the same time studies chemistry at Kocaeli University.
|| Turkish Nielsen Airplay Chart
||"Böyle kahpedir dünya" (The Life Is Whore Like That)
- 34. Hürriyet Altın Kelebek Ödülleri (Golden Butterfly Awards)
- 11. Istanbul FM Gold Awards 2007
- Best rock band
- Best song with best lyrics & music (together with Emre Aydın for the song Sensiz İstanbul'a Düşmanım)
- Dream Magazine 2007 Awards
- Yılın Yerli Müzik Olayı (Domestic Music Event of the Year): Gripin-emreaydın: Sensiz İstanbul'a Düşmanım feat
- Dream TV 2007 Top 50 Songs
- 3rd place: Gripin-emreaydın: Sensiz İstanbul'a Düşmanım (I'm enemy of Istanbul Without You) (first among Turkish songs)
- 15th place: Böyle Kahpedir Dünya