In medicine, gravidity refers to the number of times a woman has been pregnant. In biology, the term "gravid" is used to describe the condition of a female live bearing fish (or snakes) when carrying young internally. In entomology it describes a mated female insect.
- A gravida is a pregnant woman.
- A nulligravida or gravida 0 is a woman who has never been pregnant.
- A primigravida or gravida 1 is a woman who is pregnant for the first time or has been pregnant one time.
- A multigravida or more specifically a gravida 2 (also secundigravida), gravida 3, and so on, is a woman who has been pregnant more than one time.
- An elderly primigravida is a woman in her first pregnancy, who is at least 35 years old.
The term gravida is generally coupled with para and abortus to indicate more details of the woman's obstetric history.
- A " primigravida " is a woman who has been pregnant for the first time regardless if it is miscarriage or aborted.