is that portion of the Antarctic Peninsula
which lies north of a line joining Cape Jeremy
and Cape Agassiz
. This description of Graham Land is consistent with the 1964
agreement between the British Antarctic Place-names Committee
and the US Advisory Committee on Antarctic Names
, in which the name "Antarctic Peninsula" was approved for the major peninsula of Antarctica
, and the names Graham Land and Palmer Land
for the northern and southern portions, respectively.
Graham Land is named after Sir James R. G. Graham, First Lord of the Admiralty at the time of John Biscoe's exploration of the west side of Graham Land in 1832. It is part of British Antarctic Territory.
Graham Land is closer to South America than any other part of that continent.