The Government agencies in Sweden are state controlled organizations who act independently to carry out the policies of the Swedish Government. The Government Ministries are relatively small and merely policy-making organizations, allowed to control agencies by policy decisions but not by direct orders. A Minister is explicitly prohibited from interfering with the day-to-day operation in an agency or the outcome in individual cases. While no minister is allowed to give orders to agencies personally, they are subject to decisions made by the Government.
Ministry of Justice
- Chancellor of Justice, or Justitiekanslern (JK). (Official site) Field of operations: Supervises those who are involved with public operations, it is responsible to the Government for protecting the rights of the State and it provides the Government with advice and surveys in legal matters.
- Swedish Crime Victim Compensation and Support Authority, or Brottsoffermyndigheten (BrOM). Located in Umeå. (Official site) Field of operations: examines crime victim compensation issues and allocates funds from the Fund for Victims of Crime.
- Swedish Data Inspection Board, or Datainspektionen (DI). (Official site) Field of operations: supervises the protection of individual privacy.
- Swedish National Economic Crimes Bureau, or Ekobrottsmyndigheten. (Official site)
- Swedish Election Authority, or Valmyndigheten. Located in Solna. (Official site)
- Swedish National Board of Forensic Medicine, or Rättsmedicinalverket (RMV). (Official site) Field of operations: the central administrative agency for forensic mental care, forensic chemistry, forensic medicine and forensic gene-related operations.
- Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention, or Brottsförebyggande rådet (BRÅ) (Official site) Field of operations: promotes crime prevention, it is responsible for providing the official statistics for the judicial authorities.
- Swedish National Courts Administration, or Domstolsverket (DV). Located in Jönköping. (Official site) Field of operations: The National Courts Administration is the central administrative agency for the public courts, the legal courts, the regional tenancy tribunals, the regional rent tribunals and the National Legal Aid Authority.
- Swedish Legal Aid Authority, or Rättshjälpsmyndigheten Located in Sundsvall. Field of operations: administrates issues concerning legal aid in accordance with the Legal Aid Act.
- Swedish National Police Board, or Rikspolisstyrelsen, (RPS). (Official site) Field of operations: The National Police Board is the central administrative agency for the police authorities, it is also the principal agency for the National Laboratory of Forensic Science. The Swedish Security Service and the National Criminal Investigation Department – a division which manages the running of police operations are just two parts of the National Police Board.
- Swedish Ombudsman against Discrimination on Grounds of Sexual Orientation, or Ombudsmannen mot diskriminering på grund av sexuell läggning (HomO). (Official site)
- Swedish Ombudsman against Ethnic Discrimination, or Ombudsmannen mot etnisk diskriminering. (Official site)
- Swedish Prison and Probation Service, or Kriminalvårdsstyrelsen (KVS). Located in Norrköping. (Official site)
- Prosecutor-General of Sweden, or Riksåklagaren (RÅ). Field of operations: The office of Prosecutor-General is the public prosecutor in the Supreme Court, it represents the highest-ranking prosecutor and it is the central administrative agency for the prosecution authorities.
- Swedish National Supervisory Board of Public Accountants, or Revisorsnämnden. (Official site) Field of operations: The Supervisory Board of Public Accountants deals with issues concerning the approval and authorisation of auditors, as well as the registration of auditing companies.
- Swedish National Gene Technology Advisory Board, or Gentekniknämnden. Located in Solna. (Official site) Field of operations: The Swedish Gene Technology Advisory Board shall promote an ethically justified and safe usage of gene technology through its advisory operations.
The Legations and Embassies in foreign countries, are under the direct authority and control of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Swedish National Export Credits Guarantee Board, or Exportkreditnämnden (EKN). (Official site)
- Folke Bernadotte Academy, or Folke Bernadotteakademin. Located on Sandö in Kramfors. (Official site)
- Swedish National Inspectorate of Strategic Products, or Inspektionen för strategiska produkter (ISP). (Official site)
- Invest in Sweden Agency (ISA), formally Delegationen för utländska investeringar i Sverige. (Official site)
- Swedish National Board of Trade, or Kommerskollegium. (Official site)
- Swedish National Migration Board, or Migrationsverket. Located in Norrköping. (Official site)
- Nordic Africa Institute, or Nordiska Afrikainstitutet. Located in Uppsala (Uppsala University). (Official site)
- Swedac (SWEDAC), formally Styrelsen för ackreditering och teknisk kontroll. Located in Borås. (Official site)
- Sida, formally Styrelsen för internationellt utvecklingssamarbete. (Official site)
- Swedish Institute, or Svenska institutet (SI). (Official site)
Ministry of Defence
- Swedish Armed Forces, or Försvarsmakten (FM). (Official site) The fundamental task of the Swedish Armed Forces is to prepare in peacetime to defend the country in war against armed attack that threatens its liberty and independence. It must be possible to counter attack from any quarter and to defend the whole country.
- Swedish Defence Materiel Administration, or Försvarets materielverk (FMV). (Official site) Responsible for the supply of materiel to the Swedish defence organisation
- Swedish National Service Administration, or Pliktverket. Located in Karlstad. (Official site) The National Service Administration is responsible for enrolment, enlisting and administering those eligible for national service as conscripts and supporting training organizers during national service. Each year this involves enrolment of around 50,000 young men and testing a smaller number of women for enlistment.
- Swedish National Defence College, or Försvarshögskolan (FHS). (Official site) The Swedish National Defence College offers university-level training for career and reserve officers of the Armed Forces in senior wartime and peacetime positions.
- Swedish National Defence Radio Establishment, or Försvarets radioanstalt (FRA). Located in Bromma.
- Swedish Defence Research Agency, or Totalförsvarets forskningsinstitut (FOI). (Official site) The core activities of the Swedish Defence Research Agency are research, method and technology development and studies on behalf of the National Total Defence.
- Swedish Coast Guard, or Kustbevakningen (KBV). Located in Karlskrona. (Official site) The Swedish Coast Guard performs surveillance and other monitoring and control operations, as well as environmental emergency services at sea. Its tasks are wide-ranging. They include several policy areas for which different authorities are responsible.
- Swedish Emergency Management Agency, or Krisberedskapsmyndigheten (KBM). (Official site) The Swedish Emergency Management Agency was established on 1 July 2002, with the purpose of coordinating work on the preparedness of society to manage serious crises. When it was formed, SEMA took over some of the tasks of the Swedish Agency for Civil Emergency Planning and the National Board of Psychological Defence.
- Swedish Rescue Services Agency, or Räddningsverket (SRV). Located in Karlstad. (Official site) The Swedish Rescue Services Agency promotes practice that improves accident prevention and response, and in the event of an accident limits injury and damage. This is achieved by imparting information, by running training courses and exercises, and through supervision etc.
- Swedish National Board of Psychological Defence, or Styrelsen för psykologiskt försvar (SPF). (Official site) National Board of Psychological Defence is a central authority whose task is to provide advice and guidance regarding mass media's contingency planning and their capacity for dealing with critical strains on society in peacetime. SPF also disseminates information about security policies and total defence, and follows trends in opinion that are important to psychological defence.
- Swedish Accident Investigation Board, or Statens haverikommission (SHK). (Official site)
Ministry of Health and Social Affairs
- Swedish National Alcoholic Beverages Product Rangeboard, or Alkoholsortimentsnämnden. (Official site) Ensures the state retail monopoly functions in a non-discriminatory manner.
- Medical Products Agency, or Läkemedelsverket (LV). (Official site) Responsible for regulatory control of pharmaceuticals, related medical products and drug information.
- Swedish National Medical Responsibility Board, or Hälso- och sjukvårdens ansvarsnämnd. (Official site) Investigates and rules on cases involving malpractice in the health and medical sector.
- Swedish National Pharmaceutical Benefits Board, or Läkemedelsförmånsnämnden. (Official site)
- Swedish National Agency for Special Educational Support, or Statens institut för särskilt utbildningsstöd (Sisus). (Official site) Aims to improve educational opportunities for young people and adults with disabilities.
- Swedish National Board for Intercountry Adoptions, or Statens nämnd för internationella adoptionsfrågor (NIA). (Official site) Overall responsibility for intercountry adoptions.
- Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare, or Socialstyrelsen. (Official site). Supervises, plans, coordinates and monitors health, medical and social care services.
- Swedish National Board of Institutional Care, or Statens institutionsstyrelse (SiS). (Official site). Responsible for compulsory care of young offenders and young people with drug and alcohol problems at special treatment homes and institutions.
- Swedish National Institute for Psychosocial Medicine, or Institutet för psykosocial medicin. (Official site) Investigates and monitors research on psychosocial factors.
- Swedish National Institute of Public Health, or Folkhälsoinstitutet. (Official site) Monitors, evaluates and disseminates knowledge about methods in the public health sphere. Carries on supervisory activities within the areas alcohol, drugs and tobacco.
- Swedish Social Insurance Agency, or Försäkringskassan . (Official site) Administers social insurance in Sweden.
- Swedish Ombudsman for Children, or Barnombudsmannen. (Official site) Observes matters affecting the rights and interests of children and young people.
- Swedish Disability Ombudsman, or Handikappombudsmannen. (Official site) Monitors issues relating to the rights and interests of persons with disabilities
- Swedish Council for Working Life and Social Research, or Forskningsrådet för arbetsliv och socialvetenskap. (Official site) Promotes and supports basic and applied research in the fields of working life, social science and public science.
- Swedish National Council on Technology Assessment in Health care, or Statens beredning för utvärdering av medicinsk metodik (SBU). (Official site) Appraises the methods used in health care and makes objective assessments of costs, risks and benefits of these methods.
- Swedish Handicap Institute, or Hjälpmedelsinstitutet. (Official site) Assistive technology (testing, evaluation, research and development, information and training) and accessibility.
- Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control, or Smittskyddsinstitutet (SMI). (Official site) Epidemiological surveillance, reference laboratories and diagnostics.
Ministry of Finance
Economic Affairs Department
Fiscal Affairs Department
Financial Institutions and Markets Department
County Administrative Division
Ministry of Education and Science
Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Fisheries
- Swedish National Board of Agriculture, or Jordbruksverket. (Official site) Field of operations: agriculture, horticulture and reindeer husbandry.
- Swedish National Food Administration, or Livsmedelsverket. (Official site) Field of operations: Ensure quality of food is maintained.
- Swedish National Board of Fisheries, or Fiskeriverket. (Official site) Field of operations: fishery.
- Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, or Sveriges Lantbruksuniveristet. (Official site) Field of operations: universities, research.
- Swedish National Veterinary Institute, or Statens Veterinärmedicinska Anstalt (SVA). (Official site) Field of operations: diagnoisis and combating contagious animal diseases - research and prevention.
- Swedish Institute for Food and Agricultural Economics, or Livsmedelekonomiska institutet (SLI). (Official site) Field of operations: qualified socio-economic analyses within the areas of agriculture and foodstuffs.
- Swedish Animal Welfare Agency, or Djurskyddsmyndigheten. (Official site) Field of operations: main responsibility for animal welfare regulations, the assessment of animal research, and the allocation of research assistance to alternative research methods. The agency will be shut down in 2007, and its responsibilities referred to the Swedish National Board of Agriculture.
- Swedish Veterinary Disciplinary Board, or Veterinära ansvarsnämnden. (Official site) Field of operations: examines matters concerning disciplinary responsibility for veterinary surgeons and also the revoking of veterinary licences.
- Sami Parliament, or Sametinget. (Official site) Field of operations: The Sami Parliament is both a government agency and an elected parliament whose purpose is to promote the Sami culture.
- Sami Foundation Board, or Styrelsen för samefonden. Field of operations: the board's funds are to be used to promote reindeer husbandry, Sami culture and Sami organisations.
- Swedish Consumer Agency, or Konsumentverket. (Official site) Field of operations: works with consumer issues in such fields as advertising, contract terms, consumer information, household finances and the safety, quality and environmental impact of goods.
- Swedish Market Court, or Marknadsdomstolen. (Official site) Field of operations: special court, whose responsibilities include processing of cases and other legal issues under the Marketing Practices Act and the Competition Act.
- Swedish National Board for Consumer Complaints, or Allmänna reklamationsnämnden. (Official site) Field of operations: acts as a court, the primary task of which is the impartial examination of disuptes between consumers and companies.
- Swedish Board of Supervision of Estate Agents, or Fastighetsmäklarnämnden. (Official site) Field of operations: registration and supervision of estate agents.
- Swedish Travel Guarantees Board, or Resegarantinämnden. Field of operations: responsible for decisions on the size of compensation to which travellers are entitled when package tours have been cancelled or broken off.
- SIS Ecolabelling, or Miljömärkningen Svanen. (Official site) Field of operations: commissioned by the Government to be responsible for Nordic and European environmental labelling, the Nordic Swan and the Eco-flower.
Ministry of Culture
General cultural activities
Language, literature, ibraries and archives
Visual arts, design and applied arts
Film, artists and heritage
Museums and exhibitions
- Swedish Museum of Architecture, or Arkitekturmuseet. (Official site)
- Bildmuseet. (Official site)
- Millesgården. (Official site)
- Dansmuseet. (Official site)
- Drottningholm Theatre Museum, or Drottningholms teatermuseum. (Official site)
- Kiruna Centre for Conservation of Cultural Property, or Föremålsvård i Kiruna. (Official site)
- Jewish Museum of Sweden, or Judiska museet.
- Royal Swedish Armoury, or Livrustkammaren. (Official site)
- Skokloster Castle, or Skoklosters slott. (Official site)
- Hallwyl Museum, or Hallwylska museet. (Official site)
- Swedish Modern Museum, or Moderna museet. (Official site)
- Swedish National Museum of Fine Arts, or Nationalmuseum. (Official site)
- Prince Eugen's Waldemarsudde, or Prins Eugens Waldemarsudde. (Official site)
- Swedish Museum of Natural History, or Naturhistoriska riksmuseet. (Official site)
- Swedish National Museum of Cultural History, or Nordiska museet. (Official site)
- Swedish Travelling Exhibitions, or Riksutställningar. (Official site)
- Rooseum. (Official site)
- Röhss Museum, or Röhsska museet. (Official site)
- Skansen. (Official site)
- Swedish Army Museum, or Statens försvarshistoriska museer. (Official site)
- Swedish Museum of National Antiquities, or Statens historiska museer. (Official site) (Official site)
- Swedish National Museums of World Culture, or Statens museer för världskultur. (Official site)
- Swedish National Collections of Music, or Statens musiksamlingar. (Official site)
- Swedish National Maritime Museums, or Statens sjöhistoriska museer. (Official site)
- Strindberg Museum, or Strindbergsmuseet. (Official site)
- Swedish National Museum of Science and Technology, or Tekniska museet. (Official site)
- Thiel Gallery, or Thielska galleriet. (Official site)
- Zorn Collections, or Zornsamlingarna. (Official site)
- Museum of Work, or Arbetets museum.
Theatre, dance and music
Ministry of Industry, Employment and Communications
- Swedish Work Environment Authority, or Arbetsmiljöverket. (Official site)
- Swedish National Institute for Working Life, or Arbetslivsinstitutet. (Official site)
- Swedish Employment Services, Arbetsmarknadsverket, Arbetsmarknadsstyrelsen, or Länsarbetsnämnderna. (Official site)
- Swedish National Rail Administration, or Banverket. (Official site)
- Swedish National Electrical Safety Board, or Elsäkerhetsverket. (Official site)
- Swedish National Rural Development Agency, or Glesbygdsverket. (Official site)
- Swedish Government Seamen's Service, or Handelsflottans kultur- och fritidsråd (HKF). (Official site)
- Swedish Institute for Labour Market Policy Evaluation, or Institutet för arbetsmarknadspolitisk utvärdering. (Official site)
- Swedish Institute for Growth Policy Studies, or Institutet för tillväxtpolitiska studier. (Official site)
- Swedish Ombudsman for Equal Opportunities, or Jämställdhetsombudsmannen (JämO). (Official site)
- Swedish Competition Authority, or Konkurrensverket. (Official site)
- Swedish National Mediation Office, or Medlingsinstitutet. (Official site)
- Swedish Patent and Registration Office, or Patent- och registreringsverket (PRV). (Official site)
- Swedish National Post and Telecom Agency, or Post- och telestyrelsen (PTS). (Official site)
- Swedish National Public Transport Agency, or Rikstrafiken. (Official site)
- Swedish National Space Board, or Rymdstyrelsen. (Official site)
- Swedish National Board of Forestry, or Skogsvårdsstyrelsen. (Official site)
- Swedish National Energy Administration, or Statens energimyndighet (STEM). (Official site)
- Swedish Institute for Transport and Communications Analysis, or Statens institut för kommunikationsanalys (SIKA). (Official site)
- Swedish National Road and Transport Research Institute, or Statens väg- och transportforskningsinstitut (VTI). (Official site)
- Swedish Geological Survey, or Sveriges geologiska undersökning (SGU). (Official site)
- Swedish Tourist Authority, or Turistdelegationen. (Official site)
- Swedish Agency for Innovation Systems, or Verket för innovationssystem (Vinnova). (Official site)
- Swedish Business Development Agency, or Verket för näringslivsutveckling (NUTEK). (Official site)
- Swedish National Board for Industrial and Technological Development (NUTEK).
- Swedish Road Administration, or Vägverket. (Official site)
- Government agencies reporting to the Ministry of the Environment
Some historic government agencies have been merged with other agencies or simply closed down.
- Swedish National Board of Education, or Skolöverstyrelsen, governed primary and secondary schools. Was replaced by the Swedish National Agency for Education in 1991 when the responsibility for schools was transferred from the state to the municipalities.
- Swedish National Board of Universities and Colleges, or Universitets- och högskoleämbetet, was responsible for higher education until 1992 when the central agency was abolished. It was replaced with an agency with a considerably more limited field of operations, the Office of the Chancellor of the Swedish Universities, or Kanslersämbetet. The Swedish National Agency for Higher Education was set up July 1, 1995, incorporating the Office of the Chancellor, the Council for the Renewal of Undergraduate Education (Grundutbildningsrådet) and parts of the Swedish National Agency for Services to Universities.
- Swedish Seed Testing and Certification Institute, or Statens utsädeskontroll. Field of operations: seed testing. Made a part of the Swedish National Board of Agriculture on January 1, 2006.
- Swedish National Plant Variety Board, or Statens växtsortnämnd. Field of operations: issues relating to plant breeding and the admission of plants into the different classification lists. Made a part of the Swedish National Board of Agriculture on January 1, 2006.
- Aliens Appeals Board of Sweden, or Utlänningsnämnden, UN. Discontinued and replaced by Migration Courts on March 31, 2006, when the new Aliens Act entered into force.
- Swedish National Integration Board, or Integrationsverket. Located in Norrköping. (Official site) Field of operations: The Swedish Integration Board to ensure that the visions and goals of Sweden’s integration policies have an impact in the various areas of society. Closed down on July 1 2007.