The Avening Valley
is located in the South Cotswolds
, running roughly east from Nailsworth
. At the southern ridge of this valley is evidence of considerable medieval
settlement, including Beverston Castle
and Calcot Manor
. The medieval Calcot complex structures are relicts built over Roman precursors and along an ancient Roman
road, indicating the prominence of this locale in Romano-British history. Remains of Roman stone carving have been retrieved indicating evidence of a significant Roman road. Avening Valley is situated at the head of the Stroud Valley
, and is crossed by the B4014
The principal developed features in the Avening Valley include the Norman Church of the Holy Rood
, built over an earlier Saxon church
from the year 1040
AD. and the village
of Avening. Most of the other village
dates from the early 17th century, the early elements of which were grouped near the crossing of Avening Stream
. This stream crossing point was for a connection from the town of Tetbury to Minchinhampton.
During the 1600s the cloth industry developed in the Avening Valley, with mills powered by the Avening Stream. Road development of that era featured steep routes emanating from the valley floor to access higher points on both sides of the valley. One of the larger cloth mills was named the Holcombe Mill (an old "gig" mill), which was adapted in 1879 for manufacture of bedding.
Stone construction apart from the village
In various parts of Avening Valley distant from the village itself are manifestations of 17th century and earlier stonework. These features include dry-stone
walls along the road tracks, and also include quaint farmhouses
made of stone. Both aspects are evident particularly on the "Tetbury Hill" side.