There also was an Old Geddes Village which included part of the west side of Syracuse and Tipperary Hill, the village square being located near St. Mark's Circle. The Village of Geddes (incorporated in 1832 and 1837) was annexed to the City of Syracuse on May 20, 1886 with a population of nearly 7,000. Today the Town of Geddes still includes the Village of Solvay, which operates independently, and the hamlets of Westvale and Lakeland.
Geddes is the youngest town in Onondaga County.
Geddes is on the west shore of Onondaga Lake.
Interstate 690 intersects both New York State Route 695 and Interstate 90 (New York State Thruway) in Geddes. New York State Route 5, West Genesee Street, is an east-west highway in the town. New York State Route 297 is a short north-south highway.
There were 7,262 households out of which 29.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.7% were married couples living together, 11.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.8% were non-families. 29.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.40 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the town the population was spread out with 23.3% under the age of 18, 6.4% from 18 to 24, 25.5% from 25 to 44, 23.1% from 45 to 64, and 21.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 86.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.3 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $41,852, and the median income for a family was $51,609. Males had a median income of $40,688 versus $26,575 for females. The per capita income for the town was $20,986. About 6.7% of families and 8.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.9% of those under age 18 and 7.0% of those age 65 or over.