Gangland is a computer game created by Mediamobsters (now: Sirius Games). It was released on 14 February 2004. It has the premise of mixing real-time strategy (RTS), role-playing game (RPG) and simulation (Sim).
The player plays as Mario Mangano, one of 5 brothers - the others are Romano, Angelo, Sonny and Chico Mangano (the eldest brother). Romano, Angelo, Sonny and Chico are capiregimi of the Mangano crime family based in Palermo.
When their father, the Don of the borgata, dies, a power struggle hits the family, which ends with Chico getting nominated new boss.
After Chico's promotion, he is murdered by his brothers, Romano, Angelo and Sonny, they then flip away from Italy to the new world. The police begin a manhunt for the 3 brothers, but it fails - they are nowhere to be found. 2 years later, Vincenzo Mangano, Mario's uncle (who has been in America for decades), calls Mario's grandfather, and says to him that the 3 brothers are in his city, Paradise City.
The player is sent to Paradise City by their grandfather to work under Vincenzo, until you are powerful enough to hunt down and kill the 3 murderous brothers. That is where the single player campaign begins.
There are 7 drivable vehicles available to steal or purchase:
- The Runabout is a small car, which could be compared to the Mini Cooper. This is a light blue, and can seat two units. It has good handling but is slow, and has poor armour.
- The Street Car is a light car, in grey, and can seat two units. It has average handling and average speed.
- The Truck is a heavy, bulky utility vehicle, that can seat eight units, but unlike the other vehicles has no shooting seats. It is very slow and has poor handling.
- The City Car is a black, Cadillac-type vehicle, that can seat four units. It has decent handling and a decent speed.
- The Military Vehicle is a Humvee-style vehicle, that seats four units. It has incredibly heavy armour (the heaviest), but poor speed and handling.
- The Sports Car is a red Dodge Viper style car which seats two units. It's very fast, and has decent handling.
- The Police Car is, as the name says, a police car. It can seat four people, and has average speed, armour and handling.
Note: The Military Vehicle, the Sports Car, and the Police Car are not available to steal on the map, and must be purchased.
Paradise City Mobs
The Mangano crime family is not the only organised crime syndicate; it shares the Paradise City underworld with seven others.
- the Jewish Mafia: Led by Rabbi Viktor Schwarzchild;
- the Frantino crime family: American Mafia, Led by Rocco Frantino;
- the Cartel: Led by Amado Raùl Callas;
- the Yakuza: Led by Riju Teshighara.
- the Russian Bratva: Led by Alexander Minkowskij;
- the Black Mafia: Led by George King;
- the Triads: Led by Fei Li Xiao;
Reviews and Criticisms
A common criticism of Gangland was its repetitive gameplay.
Mobile phone release
The game was released on an unknown date by King of Mobile for mobile phones. The story is much simpler, and different from the PC version.
On Oct 1st publisher CDV
announced that Escape From Paradise City
is gone gold and would be available on Oct 24. Escape from Paradise is developed by Sirius Games