Four Bears Bridge
is one of two bridges built over the Missouri River
on the Fort Berthold Reservation
in the U.S. state
of North Dakota
. The current bridge which opened in 2005
is the second largest bridge in the state and replaces an earlier bridge built in 1955
. The 1955 bridge replaces an even earlier bridge known as the Verendrye Bridge after the first European explorer to visit present day North Dakota.
Tragically, one worker was killed and three were injured when a portion of the new bridge collapsed during construction on November 30 2004.
The current bridge is decorated with medallions reflecting the heritage of the Three Affiliated Tribes, the Mandan, Arikara and Hidatsa who inhabit the reservation. The bridge is named for two chiefs, one Mandan and one Hidatsa and both named Four Bears.
The bridge opened to traffic on September 2 2005, at around 10:00 a.m. local time An official opening ceremony was held on October 3 2005.