was a town on the Mississippi River
about one mile south of Wickliffe, Kentucky
in southwestern Ballard County
. The formal town was founded in 1858; however, in 1779, George Rogers Clark
built a stronghold of the same name at the intersection of the Mississippi
and Ohio Rivers
in order to consolidate his forces and to control access to the Ohio.
The original fort was occupied until 1781, and while the town itself no longer exists, the site is now home of the Westvaco paper factory.