Fort George G. Meade
, located adjacent to Odenton
, in Anne Arundel County
, is an active U.S. Army
installation. The fort, established in 1917, is named for General George Meade
, a Union Army
general in the American Civil War
. It covers in Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Fort Meade is also home to Meade Senior High School and the National Cryptologic Museum.
Fort Meade was established in 1917 when the United States Department of War
acquired 19,000 acres (77 km²) of land west of Odenton
to develop a training camp. First known as Camp Annapolis Junction, the fort was named Camp Admiral at its opening in 1917. Other name changes occurred after construction of 1,460 buildings on the site when it became Camp George Gordon Meade then in the 1920s it became Fort Leonard Wood
, but by the 1930s it reverted back to Fort George G. Meade.
Fort Meade was used as a basic training post and a prisoner of war camp during World War II. In the 1950s, the post became headquarters of the National Security Agency (NSA). The post was scheduled to close in the 1990s, but was kept open to support the NSA. Today, Ft. Meade is often used as a metonym for the NSA.
Due to its location near Washington, D.C.
, it is increasingly being used by government and military tenants like the Defense Information School
, the headquarters of the Defense Courier Service
, the United States Army Field Band
, and an United States Environmental Protection Agency
As part of the U.S. Defense Department's 2005 Base Realignment and Closure process, several additional activities are scheduled to move to Fort Meade around 2010, including the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA), Adjudication and Office of Hearing and Appeals Offices, and several DoD media activities. Several parcels of land have been made available for commercial lease. In October 2007 the Army estimated that Fort Meade will gain about 5,700 jobs directly, and the area will see an increase of thousands more jobs for related businesses.
A September 2007 environmental impact report described the expansion, and particularly the proposed two additional 18-hole golf courses, as a "significant threat to the biological and territorial integrity of the Patuxent Research Refuge, a unique national interest in the forefront of scientific research and protection." In response, the Army said that it is taking steps to limit the environmental damage but that the golf courses are needed for "maintaining the quality of life for soldiers and their families."
Hazardous waste cleanup
On August 27
, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
issued an order directing the Army to assess the nature and extent of the contamination, determine appropriate corrective measures, and implement such measures for fourteen hazardous waste sites on the base, plus three sites on of land transferred to the Patuxent Research Refuge. The sites include an ordnance disposal area, a 1940s waste dump, and a closed sanitary landfill.
Fort George G. Meade Museum
The Fort George G. Meade Museum
exhibits historical artifacts, uniforms, weapons, tanks, photographs, documents and paintings pertaining to the history of Fort George G. Meade. On the museum's grounds are displayed historic military equipment including tanks, armored personnel carriers, a Nike "Ajax" missile, and a helicopter. The museum is located at 4674 Griffin Avenue, Fort George G. Meade.