, a formate-tetrahydrofolate ligase
is an enzyme
the chemical reaction
- ATP + formate + tetrahydrofolate ADP + phosphate + 10-formyltetrahydrofolate
The 3 substrates of this enzyme are ATP, formate, and tetrahydrofolate, whereas its 3 products are ADP, phosphate, and 10-formyltetrahydrofolate.
This enzyme belongs to the family of ligases, specifically those forming generic carbon-nitrogen bonds. The systematic name of this enzyme class is formate:tetrahydrofolate ligase (ADP-forming). Other names in common use include formyltetrahydrofolate synthetase, 10-formyltetrahydrofolate synthetase, tetrahydrofolic formylase, and tetrahydrofolate formylase. This enzyme participates in glyoxylate and dicarboxylate metabolism and one carbon pool by folate.
As of late 2007, 3 structures have been solved for this class of enzymes, with PDB accession codes , , and .
- JAENICKE L, BRODE E "[Research on monocarbon compounds. I. The tetrahydrofolate formylase from pigeon liver. Purification and mechanism.]". Biochem. Z. 334 108–32.
- Long CW, Levitzki A, Houston LL and Koshland DE, Jr "Subunit structures and interactions of CTP synthetase". Fed. Proc. 28 342.
- RABINOWITZ JC, PRICER WE Jr "Formyltetrahydrofolate synthetase. I. Isolation and crystallization of the enzyme". J. Biol. Chem. 237 2898–902.
- Whiteley HR, Osborn MJ and Huennekens FM "Purification and properties of the formate-activating enzyme from Micrococcus aerogenes". J. Biol. Chem. 234 1538–1543.
- The CAS registry number for this enzyme class is .
Gene Ontology (GO) codes