This road is located on the hill that in the 1830s marked the western boundary of the colonial town. Pasoh is the Malay word for "flower pot", and this was where earthenware pots used to be made. The hill has been renamed several times. It was first called Ryan's Hill from 1835 to 1836 after an early planter, Charles Ryan, who was the first owner of the hill as well as the first civilian Post Master of Singapore. It was sold to Hugh Syme in 1827 when Ryan returned to England; Syme renamed it Duxton Hill. It was bought by Dr Montgomerie in 1836 and developed into a nutmeg plantation together with nearby Craig Hill. Both were auctioned off in 1856 when Montgomerie died and fragmented it into building lots. The hill was later renamed Dickenson's Hill after Rev J.T. Dickenson, followed by Bukit Padre and finally Bukit Pasoh. Bukit Pasoh was owned by an opium farmer, Tan Keng Hoon, at the time of his death in 1877.
The road and its vicinity is a conservation area known as Bukit Pasoh Conservation Area, which is bounded by New Bridge Road, Keong Saik Road, Kreta Ayer Road, Neil Road and Cantonment Road. This area was given the conservation area status on 7 July 1989. The shophouses mainly consist of two and three storey shophouses in transitional, late and art deco styles.