Flyte is the second book in the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage. The cover is modeled after the in-story book: How to Survive Dragon Fostering: A Practykal Guide with the Flyte Charm lying on top.
From the publisher: "It's been over a year since Septimus discovered his real family and true calling to be a wizard. As Apprentice to the ExtraOrdinary Wizard Marcia Overstrand, he is learning the fine arts of Conjurations, Charms, and other Magyk, while Jenna is adapting to life as the Princess and enjoying the freedom of the Castle.
But there is something sinister at work. Marcia is constantly trailed by a menacing Darke Shadow, and Septimus's brother Simon has returned with a vengeance. Why is the Darke Magyk still lingering?" Will the ShadowSafe be put together in time?
In the second book we see Septimus as the apprentice to Marcia. When Simon kidnaps Jenna, Septimus goes out to search for her. He is assisted in his search by his friend Beetle. But Jenna runs away from Simon's observatory in The Badlands and makes her way towards The Port. Eventually Septimus is able to rescue Jenna with Nicko's help from the Port but they are tracked by Sleuth, Simon's tracking ball.
They make their way to the Marram Marshes where they take the Dragon-Boat from Aunt Zelda's cottage and fly her to the Castle. But they meet Simon, flying in the sky. Simon drops a huge Thunderflash on the Dragon-Boat and it drops over Jannit Marten's Boatyard. Septimus, Jenna and Aunt Zelda are able to revive her through the Transubstantiate Triplet spell.
Septimus is also in search of the long lost Flyte charm. He finds the separated charm and unites it along with the small arrow Flyte charm that Marcia had given him. Eventually he is able to fly and even warns Simon never to harm Jenna again. Also, the rock that Jenna gave him at Aunt Zelda's cottage, turns out to be the egg of a dragon and eventually it hatches. Septimus absolutely adores the dragon and names him Spit Fyre. The dragon for some strange reason, identifies Marcia as its mummy, much to Marcia's annoyance.
Septimus also rescues Marcia by identifying the shadow that has been trailing her. He also finds out that the ShadowSafe which Marcia is developing has the bones of destroyed Necromancer DomDaniel which, once assembled, tries to kill Marcia. Marcia, with Septimus's help is able to Identify him and thus he is again destroyed.
The Heaps (In arrangement from oldest to youngest)
- Grandpa Benji: Silas's father, Grandpa Benji lives in the Forest. He was a shape shifter, and turned himself into a tree. He saved Nicko and Septimus when they were about to be eaten by some ravenous wolverines.
- Aunt Zelda: A White Witch and current Keeper of the Dragon Boat.
- Silas Heap: The Father of the family. He found Jenna in the snow the day Septimus was born. Although Silas was a seventh son, but he didn't possess much talent, and is merely a humble Ordinary Wizard.
- Sarah Heap: The mother of the family. Sarah is quite emotional, and insists on constantly hugging Simon when he gets back. On the other hand, she could be quite formidable when she or her family is insulted or threatened in any way, or just to get what she believes in. She used to study with Galen, the Physik woman, about herbs, and that's where she met Silas.
- Simon Heap: Simon seems to hate his youngest brother, Septimus, while the others adore him. He accuses him of stealing his Apprenticeship to the ExtraOrdinary Wizard. Simon offered to Restore DomDaniel, the old ExtraOrdinary Wizard, if he took him on as an Apprentice. He was quite nasty to his brothers and adoptive sister. He kidnapped Jenna so he could dispose of her for DomDaniel. However in Queste, he seems not to be a Darke Wizard any more and doesn't want to be the extraordinary wizard either.
- Sam Heap: Lives in the Forest with his brothers. He is the oldest, besides Simon. Sam loves to fish.
- Edd Heap: He and Erik are twins. They like to play practical jokes.
- Erik Heap: Edd's twin.
- Jo-Jo Heap: Has a crush on Marissa, a Wendron Witch.
- Nicko Heap: Nicko is good with boats and fixing things. He was positively shocked when Simon stole his newly-acquired canoe and rode off in it. He was one of the few that believed Septimus when told that Simon had kidnapped Jenna.
- Septimus Heap: The protagonist of the series. Originally Boy 412 of the Young Army. The seventh son of a seventh son. He is Marcia's Apprentice, and he trusts Marcia more than anyone else. He and Jenna have a close relationship.
- Jenna Heap: She is the Princess or the "Queenling". She and Septimus are exactly the same age, but Jenna was bigger and stronger. She is not a true Heap and was only secretly adopted by the Heaps after her mother, the Queen, was assassinated. She has a Shield Bug from the previous book.
- Marcia Overstrand: The current ExtraOrdinary Wizard. An extremely powerful wizard, Marcia is known for her tempers and ambitiousness. She has Septimus as her apprentice.
- Alther Mella: The ex-ExtraOrdinary wizard whose ghost now helps Septimus to look for Jenna and also gives advice to Marcia.
- DomDaniel: Ex-ExtraOrdinary wizard and Necromancer. DomDaniel was destroyed by Marcia in Magyk, but his bones were placed in Marcia's ShadowSafe to make a Placement on her.
- Billy Pot: The inventor of the Contraption.
- Ellis Crackle: Once an apprentice to DomDaniel. DomDaniel Reduced him into a Shadow.
- Hugh Fox: The Chief Hermetic Scribe at Manuscriptorium. He has had secret dealings with Simon Heap. He is the one who gave Simon the half of the Flyte Charm.
- Jannit Marten: Owner of the best boatyard at the Castle.
- Lucy Gringe: She is in love with Simon Heap, and often fights with her parents about it, who disapprove of all the Heaps, especially Simon.
- Merrin Meredith: He thought he was Septimus Heap. He was once an apprentice to and then later Consumed by Necromancer DomDaniel. But Aunt Zelda saved him from being gone forever. He was apprenticed to Simon Heap near the end of the book.
- Morwenna Mould: Current Witch Mother of the Wendron Witch Forest Coven.
- Nurse Meredith: The landlady of the Doll House after Florrie Bundy, the old landlady, drowned in a drain after having a Shrink Spell done on her by Linda, one of the witches in the Port Witch Coven. She was the Matron Midwife who snatched Septimus Heap from Sarah for DomDaniel. Her son is Merrin Meredith.
- Professor Weasal Van Klampff: The professor in charge of constructing the Shadow Safe.
- Sleuth: The faithful servant to Simon Heap. He used to be a bald, old tennis ball in a dumpster, but then Simon dug him out and enchanted him.
- Stanley: Once a message rat, he is now employed in the Secret Rat Service. He is sent to find Jenna when she is kidnapped.
- Una Brakket: Weasal Van Klampff's grumpy housekeeper.
- Spit Fyre: A young green dragon that hatches from a green rock that Jenna, the Queenling, had given Septimus. Spit Fyre is able to breathe Fyre and he has had his FirstFlyte with Septimus and Jenna, the Navigator. Spit Fyre seems to be a fun loving and very clumsy dragon.
- The Dragon Boat: A half-dragon, half-boat. Many years ago, the dragon's master, Hotep-Ra, was fleeing from people who wanted to dispose of him. The dragon made the once in a lifetime Transformation into a boat to save her master. She is permanently a boat. Jenna must visit her once a year on Mid-Summer's Day, the time when the dragon's magic is the strongest.