A fly-in is an organized event where pilots are invited to fly their aircraft to rendezvous at an airport to meet with fellow pilots and members of the public.
Fly-ins can be aimed at specific aircraft classes, such as taildraggers, warbirds, experimental aircraft or specific aircraft models. They may be organized by a national organization, such as the Canadian Owners and Pilots Association or the Experimental Aircraft Association, the airport owner or authority, a flying club or by an aircraft type club.
By definition fly-ins do not include air displays or competitive flying, but are are sometimes combined with other events, such as an air show or car show, where the fly-in aircraft crews will arrive to watch the other event.
List of fly-in events
Only larger, frequently recurring events are listed.
- Tannkosh. Everything from Ultralights to warbirds, annual.
- EAA AirVenture Oshkosh, annual.
- Lakeathon amphibious aircraft fly-in in Winter Haven, Florida, annual.
- Northwest EAA Fly-In, annual.
- Pacific Coast Dream Machines Show in Half Moon Bay, California, annual.
- South West regional fly-in in Hondo, Texas, annual.
- St.Louis downtown airport fly-in
- Sun 'n Fun fly-in in Lakeland, Florida, annual.
- AOPA Expo, different location each year, annual
- Simsbury Fly-in, Simsbury Airport, Simsbury, CT, Annual
- Virginia Regional Festival of Flight, Suffolk, Virginia, annual.