is Gundam SEED Destiny's counterpart to Gundam SEED: Special Edition. It is a four-part compilation movie.
Like the three specials of Gundam SEED
, these specials feature new or changed scenes of the TV series. However unlike the TV series, which was told in the points of view of main characters Shinn Asuka
and Kira Yamato
, the Special Edition
was told through the eyes of Athrun Zala
, giving the movies a much more neutral point of view.
The DVD quartet, as opposed to the series, seems to put much more emphasis on Shinn's romantic relationship with Lunamaria Hawke
and much less emphasis on Lunamaria's prior crush on Athrun so that fans could see a much easier transition to Shinn being romantically involved with Stella Loussier
to Lunamaria, rather than in the series, which just had it as a sudden occurrence. It also puts much more emphasis on Rey Za Burrel
's and Gilbert Durandal
's bad traits as well as making them seem sinister, so that they seem much more like antagonists than in the series.
Broadcast on Japanese TV
- First special, "The Shattered World" (covers episodes 1 to 13 of the series), aired in two parts on May 2 and May 3, 2006.
- Second special, "Their Respective Swords" (covers episodes 14 to 28 of the series), aired in two parts on July 27 and July 28, 2006.
- Third special, "Flames of Destiny" (covers episodes 29 to 42 of the series), aired on October 8, 2006.
- Fourth special, "The Cost of Freedom" (covers episodes 43 to 49 of the series and the "Final Plus" episode, "The Chosen Future"), aired on February 23, 2007.
The transition from the TV broadcast to movies allowed changes to the storyline of the show to be made for the movie versions. Note: Some of the changes below were made to the DVD version of the TV series before being edited into the Special Editions.
Special Edition I - The Shattered World
- The opening sequence shows several new scenes at Orb and the PLANTs: Kira Yamato and Lacus Clyne walking on the beach, Athrun Zala and Cagalli Yula Athha preparing to launch with the shuttle to the PLANTs until the actual launch, Shinn Asuka and Rey Za Burrel training with their mobile suits at Armory One, the terrorists which will drop Junius Seven on Earth before the start of their mission.
- A scene when Rey looks to Gilbert Durandal who talks with Cagalli in front of a mobile suit hangar.
- Several new scenes of Athrun fighting in the ZAKU against the three stolen Gundams.
- The scene where Durandal reveals that Alex is Athrun is completely redrawn.
- Several new battle scenes at Junius Seven.
- When Athrun drives with Kira in his car he tells him that he will go to the PLANTs (in the series he only told it to Cagalli).
- Shinn talking with Lunamaria Hawke about why he does not leave the ship at Orb.
- The scene when Athrun says goodbye to Cagalli before leaving for the PLANTs is completely redrawn.
- The scene when Shinn visits the memorial at Orb is different.
- Heine Westenfluss is shown piloting his custom Blaze ZAKU Phantom in two scenes during the battle at Aprilius One.
- The scene when Kira saves Lacus from the sniper is redrawn.
- The scene where Kira hugs Lacus is different.
- When Kira asks Lacus for the keys to open the gate to the Freedom is changed.
- When the ASH pilots commit suicide Kira displays shock rather than staring blankly out of his cockpit.
- The scene where Saviour prepares to launch is redrawn.
Special Edition II - Their Respective Swords
- Instead of joining the Archangel crew later, Miriallia Haw is already on the ship when it leaves Orb.
- While sitting in his office, Durandal is informed that the Minerva has reached Carpentaria. Afterwards he thinks about whether Shinn's SEED factor has awakened (this shows that he knows about it). He also asks himself whether he can defeat Kira Yamato.
- The battle at Gulnahan is shown in short clips during Meer Campbell's concert.
- During the meeting between Durandal and the crew members of the Minerva, Rey has a short talk about war.
- While Durandal talks with Athrun about the Archangel, a short scene of the ship is shown, as well as a scene in which Kira repairs Haro while Lacus watches.
- When Shinn and Stella Loussier are rescued from the cave, it isn't Athrun who rescues them but Lunamaria.
- During the Battle of Dardanelles, Waltfeld is not seen launching from the Archangel, and any scene of him fighting thereafter is also cut.
- When Heine Westenfluss accidentally flies between the Freedom and Gaia, Stella does not shout at him to move (eliminating whatever concern Stella had for the welfare of her adversary). In addition, when Heine's GOUF is destroyed, its camera eye is turned off, and Heine's image is not superimposed over the explosion.
- A short new scene when Lacus enters the hot spring of the Archangel, which shows her nude from behind.
- When Kira and Cagalli meet Athrun, there is a short new scene of the Freedom as it emerges from the water.
- When Shinn stops Stella's rampage in the infirmary of the Minerva, Lunamaria is also present and her shocked face is shown when the captain and Athrun enter.
- When Lacus tells Kira that she will go to the PLANTs, they both hug in the end instead of simply looking at each other.
- When the Savior is disabled by the Freedom, it phase shifts down (in the original series, it retains its colored armor)
Special Edition III - Flames Of Destiny
- When Shinn approaches Stella in the Destroy, his beam saber is turned off.
- The fight between Kira and Shinn during Operation Angel Down had added fast effects.
- The scene where Impulse tosses its shield at Freedom and ricochets a beam rifle shot off it is redrawn so the shield is in its "extended" mode.
- The scene where Cagalli sorties with Strike Rouge underwater to pick up what was left of the Freedom's cockpit with Kira unconscious inside is entirely omitted.
- When Rey shoots at Athrun and Meyrin in the hanger, Rey's dialogue was changed from somewhere along the lines of "I won't let you betray Gil" to "We have no more use for you," which further emphasize on how sinister he is.
- When Athrun wakes at the Archangel, Cagalli is beside Kira.
- Destiny's front faced beam rifle shooting animation is redrawn to show more of its surroundings.
- During the battle at Heaven's Base a new scene is added in which the Legend destroys several mobile suits among them a GAT-333 Raider Full Spec.
- The scenes of Shinn and Lunamaria before the Heaven's base battle are different.
- In Kira's first battle in the Strike Freedom, the scene where the two GOUF Ignited pilots realize that Freedom can use DRAGOON units is re-drawn, as is Kira's reaction shot when said GOUFs entangle Freedom's arm and leg in their heat rods just prior to the DRAGOONs being launched.
- When Strike Freedom launches its DRAGOONs, its wings always display the mock "Wings of Light" effect in all scenes afterwards.
- When Durandal is informed that Djibril is in Orb, he is seen smiling.
- The part where Kira attacks Shinn after re-entry with his Strike Freedom is different. The sword slashing part gets redrawn.
- The scene where Shinn's Destiny runs low on power is cut. Rey launches in Legend alone. When in the series, he ordered Shinn to return to the Minerva for a resupply and then they both launched together.
- A short scene displaying Rey and Lunamaria's shocked expression when Strike Freedom caught Destiny's anti-ship sword and fired the railguns at point blank range.
Special Edition IV - The Cost of Freedom
- Fast effects are added to Strike Freedom when it fires its chest cannon at the Legend. For some reason, this doesn't apply when it fires it at Destiny during the last battle, but does so again when it fires it at Legend at a later point.
- When Athrun uses the Infinite Justice to ram Destiny, there is an emphasis when both mobile suits make contact.
- Several of Infinite Justice's footage gets renewed, including using its shield to block Destiny's beam boomerang (beam blade configuration) as well as when it use its double saber to fling off Destiny after the beam boomerang makes contact with the shield. In the final battle, the footage of I. Justice blocking Impulse's beam rifle shots are also changed.
- Shinn gets suddenly and briefly distracted by a flashback of a recent memory moments before crossing blades with Athrun in the Infinite Justice during their battle at Orb.
- While chasing after Djibril in a high-speed shuttle about to break Earth's orbit, Impulse's firing stance is changed which in turn adds dramatic tension and emphasizes how difficult it was for Lunamaria to hit the high-speed shuttle craft.
- Rey has a brief dialogue before finishing off Djibril during the battle at Requiem.
- A brief clip of Cagalli taking her ring off is shown during her speech before Archangel launches.
- The note Meer sends Lacus on the moon now has proper English grammar.
- The fight between Kira and Rey has been reanimated. Also, Rey was seen (sensed by Kira) as Rau.
- Similar to Gundam SEED Destiny "Final Plus", Athrun enters Messiah with Kira and they both leave together, instead of Athrun not being in Messiah at all.
- The end credit sequence shows Kira returning to the PLANTs in a white ZAFT command pilot suit, while Athrun is wearing an Orb admiral's uniform. Shinn Asuka and Lunamaria Hawke are still wearing red uniforms. Shinn however is not wearing his FAITH insignia. Both of them, along with Meyrin Hawke and the Three DOM Troopers (their leader Hilda is also wearing a Red coat, while the other two are wearing Green uniforms) are accompanying Kira and Athrun on entering the hall where Lacus stood. Kira is reunited with Lacus and they happily embrace each other. Those unaware of their relationship react amusingly bewildered and shocked. Dearka Elsman is seen wearing black uniform in the background and Yzak Joule wearing a white uniform. It appears that their "defection" at the end of the war did not result in any demotion unlike the last war where Dearka Elsman was demoted from red uniform to green uniform. The end credits also feature a scene on Earth, showing Andrew Waltfield making coffee and Murrue and Mu watching the sunset together.
Ending and insert songs
Ending songs (in order):