may refer to:
- Contraction (childbirth), a contraction during childbirth (basically referring to muscle contraction)
- Contraction (grammar), a word formed from two or more individual words.
- Syncope, the loss or reduction of sounds within a word.
- Braille contraction, used to decrease space and increase reading speed
- Economic contraction, a reversal of economic growth; the opposite of economic expansion.
- The reverse of thermal expansion
- Contraction mapping, in mathematics, a type of function on a metric space
- Edge contraction or vertex contraction, graph operations used in graph theory
- Muscle contraction, one that occurs when a muscle fiber lengthens or shortens
- Tensor contraction in tensor theory (in mathematics)
- Contraction, a stage in wound healing
- A structural rule in proof theory, see idempotency of entailment