Fit and FIT have several meanings.
Fit can refer to:
- Physical fitness, how well a person is suited for physical tasks.
- Fitness (biology), how capable a being is at successfully passing on its genes.
- seizure, or any other sudden occurrence of a symptom or unusual behavior.
- tailoring, how well clothing conforms to the wearer's body (as in "a good fit"). "To fit" is also a verb for adjusting clothing to better suit a wearer.
- Honda Fit (also known as Honda Jazz), a 5-door hatchback car.
- Engineering fit, a classification system for the mating of two mechanical components.
- the result of curve fitting.
- Also spelt fytte, a section or part of a poem, a canto. This meaning was blended to humorous effect with the idea of seizures in Lewis Carroll's poem The Hunting of the Snark, which he described as "an agony in eight fits." Whence its use for the episodes of the radio series The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and for the five portions of the Interactive Fiction game Losing Your Grip
- In the Doric dialect (Scotland), several context-dependent meanings, such as what.
- Physical attractiveness, in British slang, usually with sexual connotations, generally used to describe an attractive woman. (Whether its origin is an extension of fit as in physically healthy, or fit as in fit/suitable [ie for having sexual intercourse with], is unknown.)
The acronym FIT can stand for:
- Failures In Time, a unit rate of failure, used in reliability engineering.
- Fashion Institute of Technology, an American college, part of the State University of New York.
- Fast Issue Track, issue resolutions software
- Fédération Internationale des Traducteurs or International Federation of Translators, a global umbrella organization of national translators' and interpreters' associations
- Federation of International Touch, the governing body of a version of Touch (Rugby) Football.
- Feed In Tariffs, referred to PV energy financial incentives.
- Filton Abbey Wood railway station has National Rail code FIT.
- Finite Integration Technique, a numerical method for simulating electromagnetical problems
- Five Intersecting Tetrahedra, a compound solid shape.
- Florida Institute of Technology, an American engineering and technological university located in Melbourne, Florida.
- Forever In Terror, a heavy metal band from Streetsboro, OH
- Forward Intelligence Team, a UK Police unit for dealing with Public Order matters
- Framework for Integrated Test, an open-source software tool for automated customer tests.
- Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Information Technology, a German institute operated by the Fraunhofer Society .
- Free Independent Traveler, a small number of tourists (usually fewer than 5 persons) who take packaged tours at a time of their own choice,
- Feature integration theory, a theory to explain visual attention,
- Forward Intelligence Team, units of UK police officers assigned to conduct overt surveillance of the public.
- Frame Interline Transfer, a type of CCD imager.
- Retrofit, the addition of new technology or features to older systems