The was an army of the Imperial Japanese Army during the final days of World War II.
The Japanese 52nd Army was formed on 7 April 1945
under the Japanese 12th Area Army
as part of the last desperate defense effort by the Empire of Japan
to deter possible landings of Allied forces
in central Honshū
during Operation Downfall
. The Japanese 52nd Army was based in Sakura
, Chiba Prefecture
and was thus intended to guard the closest beachhead to Tokyo
and the Kantō region
along the Bōsō Peninsula
. It consisted mostly of poorly-trained reservists
students and home guard militia
. It was demobilized
at the surrender of Japan
on 15 August 1945
without having seen combat.
List of Commanders
- Drea, Edward J. (1998). In the Service of the Emperor: Essays on the Imperial Japanese Army. University of Nebraska Press. ISBN 0-8032-1708-0.
- Frank, Richard B (1999). Downfall: The End of the Imperial Japanese Empire. New York: Random House. ISBN 0-679-41424-X.
- Jowett, Bernard (1999). The Japanese Army 1931-45 (Volume 2, 1942-45). Osprey Publishing. ISBN 1841763543.
- Madej, Victor (1981). Japanese Armed Forces Order of Battle, 1937-1945. Game Publishing Company. ASIN: B000L4CYWW.
- Marston, Daniel (2005). The Pacific War Companion: From Pearl Harbor to Hiroshima. Osprey Publishing. ISBN 1841768820.
- Skates, John Ray (1994). The Invasion of Japan: Alternative to the Bomb Downfall. New York: University of South Carolina Press. ISBN 0-87249-972-3.