- ''This is an article about a themed land at Disneyland, Magic Kingdom, Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disneyland, and Hong Kong Disneyland.
is one of the "themed lands" at the many Magic Kingdom-style parks run by The Walt Disney Company
around the world. Each Fantasyland has a castle as well as several gentle rides themed after Disney movies. In the words of Walt Disney
: "Fantasyland is dedicated to the young at heart and to those who believe that when you wish upon a star, your dreams come true."
is one of the themed lands at Disneyland
park. Fantasyland at the original Disneyland features a central courtyard dominated by King Arthur's Carrousel, in front of which sits a sword in an anvil; several times each day a costumed Merlin helps a child pull the sword from it. Walt Disney said, "What youngster has not dreamed of flying with Peter Pan
over moonlit London
, or tumbling into Alice's nonsensical Wonderland
? In Fantasyland, these classic stories of everyone's youth have become realities for youngsters - of all ages - to participate in."
In 1983, Fantasyland received a major facelift (dubbed "New Fantasyland") and the attraction facades changed from medieval tents to unique buildings themed to the movies upon which the dark rides were based.
Fantasyland's main entrance is through Sleeping Beauty Castle. The entrance also contains a separate walk through attraction that opened in 1957 but closed in 2001 after the September 11 terrorist attacks for security concerns, but will reopen in December 2008 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the film that it's based on.
"Fantasyland is dedicated to the young at heart and to those who believe that when you wish upon a star, your dreams come true."
- Walt Disney
- Alice in Wonderland (Opened in 1958, redone in 1984)
- Casey Jr. Circus Train
- Dumbo the Flying Elephant
- It's a Small World (Moved to Disneyland in 1966, redone 2008)
- King Arthur Carrousel
- Mad Tea Party (Opened in 1955, moved in 1983)
- Matterhorn Bobsleds (Opened in 1959, Redone in 1978)
- Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (Opened in 1955, redone in 1983)
- Pinocchio's Daring Journey
- Peter Pan's Flight (Opened in 1955, redone in 1983)
- Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk Thru (1957 - 2001, Will Reopen December 2008)
- Snow White's Scary Adventures (Opened in 1955, redone in 1983)
- Storybook Land Canal Boats (Opened as the "Canal Boats of the World", redone in 1956, 1983, and 1993)
- TinkerBell "Meet & Greet", opening 2008.
- Village Haus Restaurant
- Enchanted Cottage, Sweets and Treats
- The Mad Hatter
- Once Upon a Time...The Disney Princess Shoppe
- Le Petit Chalet
- Fantasy Faire Gifts
- Castle Heraldry
The Magic Kingdom
See also: Magic Kingdom attraction and entertainment history
Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort has ten main attractions. There are also two character greeting areas; Ariel's Grotto, which features The Little Mermaid, and the Fairytale Garden, in which Belle from Beauty and the Beast reads a classic Disney story. Cinderella Castle contains a mosaic depicting the story of Cinderella, and features Cinderella's Royal Table restaurant.
- Cinderella's Royal Table is a Disney special and "dining experience" located in the Magic Kingdom at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida, United States. It is the only restaurant in Cinderella Castle and it features the "Once Upon a Time Character Breakfast", with Cinderella and several other Disney Leading Lady characters. This location is so popular that it is one of the only restaurants at Disney World to book up 180 days in advance (the maximum advance booking Disney allows) each and every day. (Victoria and Albert's at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa is another). Prospective diners must call 180 days in advance to compete during a 20 minute window at 7:00 am (local) before the restaurant gets booked for that day. It is one of only two Princess character dining opportunities Disney offers, and the only breakfast with Cinderella; the other is the Princess Storybook Breakfast located at the restaurant Akershus in the Norway pavilion at EPCOT. Cinderella's Royal Table also offers a character lunch at the present time and a themed dinner featuring the Fairy Godmother to celebrate birthdays and anniversaries. Also at this time proposal packages are available upon request.
- Pinocchio Village Haus - Counter Service (Pizza, hotdogs, sandwiches)
- Mrs. Potts Cupboard - Snacks (Ice cream, floats, shakes)
- Enchanted Groves - Lemonade slushes and juices.
- The Village Fry Shoppe - Hot dog and McDonald fries.
- Mr. Toad's Wild Ride - (October 1, 1971 - September 8, 1998, Replaced by The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh)
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Submarine Voyage - (October 14, 1971 - October 14, 1994, Replaced by Pooh's Playful Spot)
- Skyway (Opened October 1971 - November 1999)
- Mickey Mouse Revue (1971 - 1980), Magic Journeys (1987 - 1993), Legend of the Lion King (1994 - 2002, Replaced by Mickey's PhilharMagic)
has three original attractions among the usual dark rides: the Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour, which features Disney villains including the Horned King from The Black Cauldron
; The Mickey Mouse Revue, originally from the Magic Kingdom but moved to Tokyo Disneyland for its opening; and Pooh's Hunny Hunt
, which uses a trackless ride system.
- Troubadour Tavern
- Captain Hook's Galley
- Queen of Hearts Banquet hall
- Village Pastry
- Fantasy Gifts
- The AristoCats
- The Glass Slipper
- Baby Mine
- Fantasyland Camera Shop
- The Mad Hatter
- Pleasure Island Candies
- Stromboli's Wagon
- Pooh Corner
Disneyland Park (Paris)
The fourth Fantasyland to open was in France
at the Disneyland Park (Paris)
theme park. Themed around a fairy tale village, this specifically notes the European origin of many classic Disney film's source material. A unique attraction for the park was 'Les Pirouettes du Vieux Moulin'. It is a ferris wheel based on Walt Disney's original animated film, The Old Mill
. The concept was originally projected for Disneyland in 1954, but was discarded then, only to be reconsidered and built at Disneyland Paris more than 35 years later. The ride is now retired, but still standing.
- The Old Mill
- Auberge de Cendrillon
- Au Chalet de la Marionnette
- Pizzeria Bella Notte
- Toad hall Restaurant
- Fantasia Gelati
- March Hare Refreshments
- Castle Boutique
- Merlin l'Enchanteur
- La Chaumière des Sept Nains
- La Confiserie des Trois Fées
- La Ménagerie de Royaume
- La Bottega di Geppetto
- Le Brave Petit Tailleur
- The Old Mill - Closed due to low capacity and loading. Now a snack kiosk.
Hong Kong Disneyland
Hong Kong Disneyland
features Sleeping Beauty Castle, as well as the Fantasy Gardens where costumed Disney characters can be met.
- Royal Banquet Hall
- Clopin's Festival of Foods
- small world ice-cream
- Storybook Shoppe
- Pooh's Corner
- Merlin's Treasures