Will Rock is a first-person shooter released in North America on June 9, 2003. The game, developed by Saber Interactive and published by Ubisoft, did not attract much attention and was deemed average by most video game reviewers , as opposed to the game it liberally borrows from, Serious Sam.
In Rock, the player takes on the persona of the title character Willford Rockwell, an archeology student, who is faced with the aftermath of a fanatical group called the Olympian Restoration Army (ORA), who somehow have managed to bring back to life a host of mythological creatures from Ancient Greece, including Zeus, king of the Gods, who has abducted Will's girlfriend Emma. Will is recruited by Prometheus, the Greek Titan of fire and craft, to destroy Zeus and his minions -- and rescue his girlfriend.
There are ten levels in the single-player game, and many reviewers noted the massive numbers of enemies, prompting IGN to remark that it "elevates the experience to a kind of inspired lunacy.At some points in the game it is possible to be attacked by dozens of different types of enemies simultaneously, and some creatures, such as axe-throwing minotaurs, split into two more attackers when "killed". Balancing this is the player's arsenal; among the weapons at his disposal are acid, atomic and "Medusa" guns, and the more standard pistol, shotgun, crossbow, fireball thrower, minigun and grenades. A shovel is also included as a melee weapon.
Many enemies in Will Rock are deliberately borrowed from Greek mythological monsters.
- Harpy; the first enemy that you will encounter. In Will Rock it is an eagle that can spit fire and acid.
- Satyr; archer which has surprising accuracy.
- Minotaur; general enemy with an axe. When killed, it morphs into two blood minotaurs.
- Blood minotaur; smaller and weaker, but more berserk.
- Rat; sprints towards an enemy and explodes.
- Tiger; fast-moving enemy, likes to leap at you, usually in groups. Attack style is run around you and leap when you are not expecting.
- Atlas; disguises as Colossus statue, holds the earth on its back.
- Discus throwers; disguises as statue, and throws a flaming discus.
- Sphinx; disguises as statue; shoots laser bolts when player passes by.
- Crocodile; Easily avoided but can bite you and inflict injury.
- Undead centaur; skeleton-like in appearance with a charge attack.
- Pan archer; arrow-firing sniper beast.
- Mini Cerberus; hordes of smaller three headed dogs, vicious, hard to beat.
- Mace wielder; Greek soldiers throwing flaming maces. They usually appear with or without head gear.
- Knife wielder; throws blue flaming knives at player.
- Skeleton foot-soldier; skeleton using sword and shield.
- Range skeleton; skeleton fighting with javelins.
- Centaur; living centaur, charges with spear, hard to hit, very fast.
- Cyclops; they come in small and large sizes, and attack using flaming rocks.
- Giant Cyclops; a normal cyclops, but much larger and stronger.
- Hephaestus; A slow-moving, but durable enemy.
- Medusa; a flying gargoyle-like creature.
- Zeus; the final boss. Attacks using thunderbolts. Can also summon his minions during combat.