The European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics, or ERCIM, is an organization that aims to foster collaborative work within the European research community in information and communication technologies (ICT) and applied mathematics, and increase co-operation with European industry.
As a European Economic Interest Grouping, ERCIM links the resources of its members to create a force of over 12,000 researchers who can work together in groups on different areas of research.
ERCIM is the European host of the World Wide Web Consortium W3C.
- Advice on IT strategy to the European Union and Member States;
- Preparation of ICT research proposals across the European Framework Programmes;
- Financial and administrative management of subsequent research projects;
- Support to European working groups, set up by IT subject area;
- Coordination of the pan-European Alain Bensoussan Fellowship Programme for young IT researchers;
- Annual nomination of a promising young researcher in computer science and applied mathematics through the Cor Baayen Award;
- Publication of the quarterly ERCIM News magazine.
Leading research institutes from nineteen European countries are members of ERCIM:
- AARIT Austrian Association for Research in IT, in Austria
- CNR Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, in Italy
- CRCIM Czech Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics, in the Czech Republic
- CWI Centrum voor Wiskunde en Informatica, in the Netherlands
- DANAIM Danish Research Association for Informatics and Mathematics, in Denmark
- FNR Fonds National de la Recherche, in Luxembourg
- FNRS & FWO Fonds National de la Recherche Scientifique & Fonds Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek, in Belgium
- Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft in Germany
- ICS-FORTH Institute of Computer Science of the Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas, in Greece
- INRIA Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique, in France
- IUA Irish Universities Association, in Ireland
- NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology, in Norway
- PLERCIM Polish Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics, in Poland
- SARIT Swiss Association for Research in Information Technology, in Switzerland
- SICS Swedish Institute of Computer Science, in Sweden
- SparCIM Spanish Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics, in Spain
- STFC Science and Technology Facilities Council, in the UK
- SZTAKI Magyar Tudományos Akadémia Számítástechnikai és Automatizálási Kutató Intézet, in Hungary
- VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland , in Finland