Enkhuizen was one of the harbour-towns of the VOC, just like Hoorn and Amsterdam, from where overseas trade with the East Indies was conducted. It received city rights in 1355. In the mid-17th century, Enkhuizen was at the peak of its power and was one of the most important harbour cities in the Netherlands. However, due to a variety of reasons, including the silting up of the harbours, Enkhuizen lost its position to Amsterdam.
Nowadays, Enkhuizen continues the maritime tradition and has one of the largest marinas of the Netherlands. It is also the location of the Zuiderzeemuseum, an open-air museum reflecting life in the villages around the Zuiderzee throughout history. Most of the buildings in the museum come from other locations in the Netherlands, such as Purmerend and Amsterdam.
Industrially, Enkhuizen is home to a number of seed production companies, as well as a plastic factory. Tourism, however, is one of the most important businesses as large parts of the inner city are still intact. This includes two magnificent 15th century churches, the largely intact 17th century city walls, gates and tower (the Drommedaris, see picture) and the 17th century city hall.
The municipal council of Enkhuizen consists of 17 seats, which are divided as follows: