Hermann von der Hardt
- February 28
), was a German historian
He was born at Melle, in Westphalia. He studied oriental languages at the universities of Jena and Leipzig, and in 1690 he was called to the chair of oriental languages at Helmstedt. He resigned his position in 1727, but lived at Helmstedt until his death.
Among his numerous writings the following deserve mention:
- Autographa Lutheri aliorumque celebrium virorum, ab anno 1517 ad annum 1546, Reformationis aetatem et historiam egregie iliustrantia (1690-1691)
- Magnum oecumenicum Constantiense concilium (1697-1700)
- Hebraeae linguae fundamenta (1694)
- Syriacae linguae fundamenta (1694)
- Elementa Chaldaica (1693)
- Historia litteraria reformationis (1717)
- Enigmata prisci orbis (1723)
Hardt left in manuscript a history of the Reformation which is preserved in the Helmstedt Juleum.
- Ferdinand Lamey, Hermann von der Hardt in seinen Briefen (Karlsruhe, 1891).