, in a broad sense, can mean "belonging" or "native to", "characteristic of", or "prevalent in" a particular geography
, race, field, area, or environment
; native to an area or scope.
It also has two specific meanings:
- Endemism, an organism being "endemic" means exclusively native to a place or biota
- Endemic (epidemiology), an infection is said to be "endemic" in a human population when that infection is maintained in the population without the need for external inputs.
- Endemism in birds, relates to the definitions of endemism for birds only.
- Epizoology, the study of infection and disease patterns in animal populations.
- Zoonosis, any infectious disease that can be transmitted from animals to humans