The village of Čermožiše has evidence of a settlement from the neolithic era. Žetale was first mentioned in writing in the year 1228, and old parish documents record its name as Schiltarin. The area was subject to repeated Ottoman invasion, and thus the village is named after a supposed defender of the village named Zetal. As of 2002, the village of Žetale had a population of 390.
A chestnut picnic in October is a locally well-known Žetale festival. There is an annual pilgrimage called 'Jarmek' on August 15, the feast day of the Assumption of Mary and a public holiday in Slovenia, where you can walk to the church of Marija pomočnica (Our Lady of Mercy), known locally as 'Marijatrošt'. The word Jarmek comes from the German 'Jahrmarkt' (market day) when one traded in pardons.
The flag and coat of arms of Žetale are a principally green-yellow design, featuring sweet chestnut leaves and fruit. Above it on the coat of arms there is a castle embattlement upon which stands the flaming sword and scales of St Michael the archangel.
The municipality of Žetale covers a total area of in the Podravska statistical region. It consists of the villages of Žetale, Čermožiše, Dobrina, Kočice and Nadole with a total population of 1,364 inhabitants.
A marked mountain path named after Žetalski Jože ('Jože from Žetale') with a precipice on the northern side leads from Žetale to Donačka gora, passing Resenik and Medgorje to the eastern third peak. The views available include the forested slopes of Macelj, the peak of Resenik, Žetale, the vineyards of Haloze and the church of Marija pomočnica (Our Lady of Mercy).
The Žetale valley is decorated by various churches. The church of St. Bastian (Sv. Boštjan) from 1415 was built in memory of plague victims. Nearby is the more recent pilgrimage church of Marija pomočnica (Our Lady of Mercy) from 1725. There is the church of St Michael (Sv. Mihael) from 1426 in the settlement. At Mohor stands the church of Sts. Mohor and Fortunat (Sv. Mohor in Fortunat) from the 15th century. After 1507 it became a place of pilgrimage.